The following is an excerpt from the book.... Our Melanie is attending a royal ball and wearing a beautiful purple ballgown with tulle, lace and satin. It's divine and the best night ever....
"I love this dress. I love that I’m wearing The Crown Jewels—oh yes I am! I’m wearing Evelina’s necklace, which makes it part of the collection. And, I’m wearing it. Me. Yes, yes, yes. My level of fabulousity is just increasing exponentially. I really could stop traffic. I can’t believe that I actually look like this—I mean, this is not the Melanie I know. This is Royal Ball Must Look Totally Fancy Melanie.
And, I secretly love her.
Funny story: I just always imagined that I’d be wearing a blue dress. You know, like Cinderella. If I were ever in a Royal Ball, wannabe Princess situation (ahem, like I am right now), I figured I’d be in a baby blue dress just like Cinderella wore to the ball—minus the glass slippers, because I’m not really sure they are that comfy, and, I’m pretty sure that my weight would totally crush them and then I’d have freaking cuts all over—not glam.
When I was little, I actually had a dream about myself wearing a blue dress with white gloves and silver shoes and dancing with some handsome man (the dream did not specify ‘prince’). I was so excited when I woke up—my mom told me that it was really me just internalizing the fact that I’d watched the movie a million times. I told her she was wrong and she would just wait and see.
I never forgot that dream. Whenever I would see a blue ballgown, I’d remember the little four year old me waking up with a huge smile and just knowing that one day, it would be real.
I guess my dream really did come true. It’s not the blue dress I imagined in my dream, but, I’ve got the gloves and the shoes and the Prince.
Wow.
Does that mean that dreams actually come true? Does that mean that my dream came true?
That even if everything in your life is really falling apart and you’re struggling to pay rent and a mortgage and your stepdad is a total tool and you’re in tears almost everyday because you miss your mother and you have no real family….That despite all that, you really can have what you always imagined?
…Really…?
You know, it’s all so perfect right now, I’m sure that I’ll take one step and just completely fall on my face. Because, it’s me. And, to put the cherry on top, I’ll do it in front of Duchess Buttface.
And that will prove that no, dreams do not in fact come true.
Because reality sucks. (who knew I was so cynical?)"
"I love this dress. I love that I’m wearing The Crown Jewels—oh yes I am! I’m wearing Evelina’s necklace, which makes it part of the collection. And, I’m wearing it. Me. Yes, yes, yes. My level of fabulousity is just increasing exponentially. I really could stop traffic. I can’t believe that I actually look like this—I mean, this is not the Melanie I know. This is Royal Ball Must Look Totally Fancy Melanie.
And, I secretly love her.
Funny story: I just always imagined that I’d be wearing a blue dress. You know, like Cinderella. If I were ever in a Royal Ball, wannabe Princess situation (ahem, like I am right now), I figured I’d be in a baby blue dress just like Cinderella wore to the ball—minus the glass slippers, because I’m not really sure they are that comfy, and, I’m pretty sure that my weight would totally crush them and then I’d have freaking cuts all over—not glam.
When I was little, I actually had a dream about myself wearing a blue dress with white gloves and silver shoes and dancing with some handsome man (the dream did not specify ‘prince’). I was so excited when I woke up—my mom told me that it was really me just internalizing the fact that I’d watched the movie a million times. I told her she was wrong and she would just wait and see.
I never forgot that dream. Whenever I would see a blue ballgown, I’d remember the little four year old me waking up with a huge smile and just knowing that one day, it would be real.
I guess my dream really did come true. It’s not the blue dress I imagined in my dream, but, I’ve got the gloves and the shoes and the Prince.
Wow.
Does that mean that dreams actually come true? Does that mean that my dream came true?
That even if everything in your life is really falling apart and you’re struggling to pay rent and a mortgage and your stepdad is a total tool and you’re in tears almost everyday because you miss your mother and you have no real family….That despite all that, you really can have what you always imagined?
…Really…?
You know, it’s all so perfect right now, I’m sure that I’ll take one step and just completely fall on my face. Because, it’s me. And, to put the cherry on top, I’ll do it in front of Duchess Buttface.
And that will prove that no, dreams do not in fact come true.
Because reality sucks. (who knew I was so cynical?)"


3 comments:
I am liking this book! It makes me sad that you have been sad. Your stepdad was a "tool"...what does that mean? I know it is probably totally obvious!
email your answers...I know they are private.
That's awesome that you have written a book. Good luck!!
You are my new role model - how awesome! :)
Post a Comment