
And here's how it happened.....
I forced my Dad to go see some shows with me in London. The conversation went something like this:
Me: "We have to see Phantom while we're in London. It's beautiful, it was one of Mom's favorites and if nothing else, you'll love the music. And it's the 25th Anniversary, so, we've got to see that too."
Dad: Grumbles. "Meh. Fine. Whatever."
Interval of Phantom
Dad: "This is AMAZING. The score is just perfect."
Me: "Told ya." Smug smile.
After the curtain call
Dad: "Here, let's go to the pit and watch the orchestra. FOR LIKE AN HOUR."
Two days later--
Me: "I think it'd be fun to see Mama Mia. I bet you'd like it--it's fun."
Dad: Eye roll.
After the show
Dad: "SO MUCH FUN! Let's stay and meet the cast at the stage door!"
SERIOUSLY.
Fast forward a few months and I tell him I'm planning a quickie weekend trip to NYC to see Newsies--which is basically every 12 year old's dream come true, am I right?--then he decides the familia should come for the Easter break.
Dad: "Well, we've got to go see Phantom. I mean, we HAVE to. We've got to have good seats. We can't NOT see Phantom."
Me: Laughs.
Dad: "It's SO GOOD. How do I get the best seats?"
Me: "Any other shows you want to take the family to?"
Dad: "OH MAMA MIA FOR SURE."
Me: Falling over laughing. "So much for that whole I don't like theater thing, huh?"
Dad: "You are your mother's child."
And that, my friends, is how my father now loves Phantom of the Opera, Mama Mia and all things Andrew Lloyd Webber.
Proud daughter, y'all. Here's to hoping I corrupt the little sister too!
(image from here)


5 comments:
I love your dad! So excited for the shows! And thank you for being your mother's child and taking me to lots of shows too (Phantom included). I'm already trying to figure out how to get Ryan and Mac to NYC this summer to see Phantom. He has to see the same show we did b/c that Phantom was AMAZING! And you know what a Phantom nut that guy is. :)
Haha ohhh your dad! This warms my heart. Now, we gotta start working on your hubs.
If you can convince your dad to like theatre and me to actually watch "Love Never Dies", I guarantee you can get your husband on board. I have faith in you!
That's so cute! I need to use your influence on my husband. I can never get him to see anything with me!
I love your dad, hahaha!
Post a Comment