I love rowing. Crew. Whatever. It saved my life. It's something that is so incredibly painful, so much work, so much TIME, but oh so worth it. It's clarity and water, and friendship and heaven and everything perfect. It's something you won't ever "get" until you've done it.
I will proudly say "I rowed crew in college", but, it doesn't mean anything to anyone. Until it does. Until you meet someone who looks at you and says "So did I! What seat were you?" and you discuss the early mornings, and the blisters, and the bruises, and the unis and the catch, and the oars and you can talk about it forever because once it's a part of you, it never leaves.
![]() |
| Ya know, just rowers on the Thames. WHY NOT |
Then, I met someone who shook me to my core and who, like me, rowed crew in college. Who, we figured out, was even at some of the same regattas and heads as I had been all those years ago! SERIOUSLY.
![]() |
| For example, we were both at this race. And we both hated it. |
I got the news I was two seat the following day and immediately texted, and then once it was over, I couldn't wait to get home to tell him all about it. Because he gets it. And thus, gets me. (we legit talked about it until 2am my time--nerdy rowers are nerdy)
![]() |
| Catching the early morning train from Waterloo to the boathouse. Oof. |
My body hurts like it hasn't hurt in ages, and I love it. I feel so lucky. Lucky to be hurting, lucky that my darling Molly is finally here, lucky for technology that allowed the two most important people in my life to meet from 5,000 miles away (yay Skype!). But, this weekend, I felt myself again. I felt what I did ten years ago, the first time I launched off and the first time I fell in love.
![]() |
| I want to steal and oar and blade and hang it in my house. But, noooooo, I'm ethical and honest or whatever. |
Love is a tricky thing, and, I'm lucky to have found it again.
"only a rower knows the feeling"








1 comment:
LOVE! This is so freaking awesome! You rock!
Post a Comment