Thursday, February 23, 2012

A Very Carrie Evening

You know that episode of Sex and The City where Carrie takes herself out on a date, goes to see that French film because she and New York are lovahhhs and she doesn't need a date?

That was me last night. And I had a blast!

I was never that kid who lost 20 pounds their first semester of college because they couldn't eat alone--no, no, I needed my food. However, I will admit, I've often been to scared to do things alone. Like, ya know, go to the theater. NO MORE.

I took myself to the opera last night to see Tristan und Isolde at the beautiful Winspear Opera House in Dallas.

The gorgeous Winspear chandelier.

When the usher seated me she goes "do you have a partner?" "Nope! Just me!" I smiled. "Oh. Ok." her face fell and she gave me the sad face. Um, no reason to be sad, I'm at the opera!

Kinda hard to get a good pic of yourself when you're home alone!
I had a great time. The production was just beautiful and the cast had absolutely amazing voices (obviously). It's sung in German with English subtitles, but I often found myself too enamored with the singing and the emotion that I didn't care that I was missing the actual translations.

The next two operas with the Dallas Opera are La Traviatta and The Magic Flute--solid chance I'll be at both of them!

Oh, and for you Dallas folk, they're broadcasting The Magic Flute on April 28th at Cowboys Stadium. I believe it's free. I'd be there in a HEARTBEAT if I wasn't going to be in London taking the baby sister to see a show on the West End! Squeee!

Do y'all ever take yourself on a date?

PS. Our mantra for today: You Are Joy.

9 comments:

Jessica said...

You look gorgeous! I'm glad you had a great time :D

Anonymous said...

I think it's empowering to take yourself on dates and go about the town on your own. And as a girl who hid in the bathroom to eat my lunch when I first moved to the US when I was in HS, I've learned the importance of self confidence and empowerment. You rock, girl. (and ps I totally love everything about your outfit last night!)

Katie said...

so pretty! so glad you had a great time!

That Pink Girl said...

Gorgeous girl!

REBrown said...

This sounds like an amazing date. I love doing fun stuff by myself sometimes.

Tiffany said...

Good for you!! I love that did a date night with yourself! And you looked great!

~Tiffany
http://tiffanyd22.blogspot.com

agalandherdog said...

Looking gorgeous as usual! Have a great weekend!

Becky said...

I love you. You are my hero. That is all. :)

Melissa @ I Pick Pretty said...

Hearty golf claps all around - doing something brave, seeing great opera, that outfit (yes, I'm biased because I have those glam earrings - Banana from a few years back, right?). Well done you.