Tuesday, July 9, 2013

Iris, I get you


In one of my random wallow-y moods over the weekend, I decided to watch The Holiday. Mainly because I'm certain Kate Winslet and I should be BFF and also because, Jude Law. 

Honestly, this movie has been my life of late. I am Iris. Forever Iris. And I wish I wasn't. 

She delivers a monologue to Jack Black's character when his girlfriend dumps him, and, although I've heard it at least 50 times, I really heard it for the first time this last weekend. So, I had to write it down and save it here. In case anyone who might be reading this little blog has been there, or is currently there--just know, you are not alone. I'm right there with you. 

We'll fight through it together, and eventually, all the heartache, the Jasper Bloom bullshit, will eventually begin to fade.....

"I understand feeling as small and as insignificant as humanly possible. And how it can actually ache in places you didn't know you had inside you..... And it doesn't matter how many new haircuts you get, or gyms you join, or how many glasses of chardonnay you drink with your girlfriends.... You still go to bed every night going over every detail and wonder what you did wrong or how you could have misunderstood. And how in the hell for that brief moment you could think that you were that happy. And sometimes you can even convince yourself that he'll see the light and show up at your door..... And after all that, however long all that may be, you'll go somewhere new. And you'll meet people who make you feel worthwhile again. And little pieces of your soul will finally come back. And all that fuzzy stuff, those years of your life that you wasted, that will eventually begin to fade."

Because, eventually, it will begin to fade, right? I mean, it has to.

And maybe someday, I will go somewhere new, maybe I'll start over with my little brood of dogs and the horse and we'll have a new dawn, a new day, a new life for us, and the hurt will fade. And my soul will come back. 

Bonus points if this could happen in the UK, please and thank you!

3 comments:

Jessica said...

I love you my sweet friend <3

Sara McCarty said...

I have no doubt that you are going to get your happily ever after. I also have no doubt that it'll probably NOT be in a form that you ever thought possible or saw coming. Keep your eyes and your heart open and you'll find it. :) Promise.

Unknown said...

The first time I ever saw this movie and heard this monologue, I cried so fiercely that I couldn't breathe. Because I was also Iris at that moment. So I get you, I really do.
It will fade, your pieces will come flying back together in a rush to make you whole again. Because you DESERVE it. Your heart is too big to stay broken apart.