Which, admittedly, is totally lame. Because I really, really, REALLY wanted to. And I looooove DRC races. DRC are my peeps, ya know (how lame did I just sound?).
Anyways.
I picked up my packet, charged my Garmin, iced the knee, went to bed early and was excited to go.
In the back of my mind, I was really nervous. Since doing whatever I did at MCM last weekend, walking has been hard. I've been stretching, icing, foam rolling, everything, but, it still hurts. I wasn't sure about running the race, as I was scared I might do major damage.
I convinced myself it would be fine, and I could do it.
I convinced myself of this by eating large amounts of pasta and french fries, followed by a PowerAde and several hours of icing my knee and watching Sons of Anarchy. Because Charlie Hunnam cures all that ails you.
Only not really.
Went to bed early, alarm set early. Ready to go.
Except not. I woke up in the middle of the night in pain and tried to get comfy. My alarm went off, I got up and stumbled out of bed. The pain was excruciating. I felt like I was going to puke from the pain.
I tried to "jog it off" by running around my house in my jammies (awesome) and then foam rolling some more. When I could hardly walk, I called it a day. I texted the husband and told him I was bowing out. I'm such a grown up.
I felt all sorts of guilty because I made a deal with Sam that I would totally own my race. And then I didn't.
And since my dogs don't understand FALL BACK we were wide awake at 6:45 AM. So, I sat on the sofa, icing my knee, eating cookies (shut up) and watching TV.
Until my BFF called and offered up a lunch date. Yes please.
So. I didn't run a half marathon. But, I spent a fantastic day with my BFF and turns out, my knee still hurts. I can't imagine what I might have done to it, had I ran yesterday.
Look at how mature I am--seriously!
This just means I'll have to suck it up and run the White Rock Half in December. Whew. I can totally do that, right?
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


12 comments:
You were smart...so often we let our wants/guilt take us out the door when we shouldn't. There will be a next time and you will be healthy for it.
Sorry you're hurting friend! But cookies for breakfast sounds like the perfect way to spend a day :)
I'm glad you listened to your body. Don't feel bad! That was a smart call!
You need to give Ally a break. She DID just run a full marathon one week ago. Uh, hello? That's like hella hard!
Good work listening to your body. Sounds like it was screaming so loudly there was no way to ignore it!
Take care of you, keep the icing and rolling and girl, give your legs some REST! They certainly deserve it!
Aren't BFF's the greatest? You can always cound on them for a pick me up. :)
At least you wanted to run...I am too lazy. :) Someone has to be chasing me.
I hope you feel better soon!
Just stumbled onto your blog from Running from the Law... LOVE it!! Am a new follower :)
Making big girl decisions sucks. But this just means more, healthier races in the future!
You can totally do it! =) Hope the knee feels better really soon! BOO on knee pain!
Don't be so hard on yourself! If you're in pain, take a break! It's ok to miss one here and there. Also, lunch with besties cure everything. Hope you're feeling better!
How is it that almost every post where you decide not to run involves me calling you and asking you to lunch?
I see a 10 pound pattern... hmmm...
Post a Comment