Tuesday, November 9, 2010

What's Next?

Hey, remember how I freaked out last year before my birthday? I'm totally doing it again.

I'm that person.

Luckily, BFF R reminds me to calm the heck down and that our 30s will be super fabulous. She's known me since I was 19 and obviously remembers the days in which we were skinny and stupid and got up at 5AM to work out. And we could eat Taco Cabana for three meals a day and not get fat. And Friends was still on TV. Ahhh, the good ol days.

Anyways.

I'm reminding myself that 30 is the new 20, so, really, I'm just about to approach my 16th birthday, and if anyone remembers how cool turning 16 is, it's me. 16 was the age ya know? Car = freedom = awesome.

I'm not really sure what 26 equals right now, but, surely, something awesome (especially since 25 greeted me with my first gray hair--holy hell--and I'm desperately hoping that my hair goes platinum like my mom's side of the family and not gray like my dad. Then I can at least be blonde for the rest of my life for free. Priorities, people).

So.

I've run five marathons. I've done a few half marathons. I attempted an ultra marathon. I once did a sprint triathlon (never again). Basically, all these things that were on my "bucket list" two years ago. Apparently, I am an overachiever.

Or am I?

So, what's next? What do I tackle now?

My mom was a no holds barred go out and get it type of woman. I'm basically a mini her, except for that. My mom wasn't afraid to do anything. If you know me in real life, you know I'm a total wuss. I freak out before every marathon. I cannot speak in public to save my life. I get super nervous meeting new people. Who I got this gene from, I'll never know as both my parents are super outgoing and brave. (but, once I get to know you, it's pretty hard for me to shut up and stop being obnoxious)

As my birthday looms ahead of me I'm reminded of the things I still don't have or haven't accomplished yet (ahem, kids, met Daniel Craig, gone 1 mile on a hippity hop, etc), but, it's also a time to step back and remember what I have done.

I've done some pretty cool stuff, ya know?

And, if I ever get really depressed and bored, I can always climb Mount Everest (please, pretty please click on the link).

As always, suggestions are welcome--what should I do next?

9 comments:

Kaci said...

Holy hell I have a few gray hair too and it's annoying as hell! My poor hubs is getting gray really fast and he's not happy. =)

Anonymous said...

Sigh, I love Friends. Thank you for that link... I lol'ed. Also? Girl, pull yourself together (hehe), you're only turning 26! :) We're YOUNG. We're healthy! You've got a whole lotta life to dominate out there... But if you want to climb a mini version of Mt. Everest, you should come to Colorado! check it: 14ers.com

Dollface said...

Next year is my 30th also!! EE... i think you should come to NY.... bum around NYC with your friend dollface for a bit :) xxxooo

Sara McCarty said...

Oh geez, sorry to inform you, but 30 sucks. You know what's even worse though? 31. Oh yeah. And guess who turns 32 in two months? :) But really, it's not that bad. I love the things I can do now that I'm 30 and not 16. Every year gets better and better! I promise, you'll survive.

And thank you for the Friends clip...that totally just made my day.

Ren Morrison Photography said...

I knew without looking what that link was. and 5 am... we. were. nuts.

and skinny.

skinny nuts.

Deepali said...

30 was kind of anti-climatic. But like you, I had to remember what I have accomplished, rather than what I haven't, otherwise it's easy to fall into a rut. I wish for 26 again, haha! Enjoy your special day!

Naturally Caffeinated Family said...

um, you have done some incredible things!! your birthday is going to be wonderful :) I can't wait to hear what you're going to do next! :)

In This Wonderful Life said...

I think you have accomplished a LOT! You will have a wonderful birthday!

Cindy said...

This is so unrelated but... OMG, my roommate and bff in college was from Texas and every time I drove home with her on break we had to eat at Taco Cabana. YUM!! Haven't thought about that in forever.

And btw: 30 is the new 20.