Monday, November 15, 2010

The Secret Life of SP

Or, not so secret, as it were. Is? I don't know. I don't have my English major sister here to ask. (She's in Canada. It's cold there. You can send her cards and stuff, I bet she'd appreciate that. I'm serious. Want her address? Just ask.)

Moving on.

So. I think it's fairly clear that I'm from a small town. And that my brother in law is a cowboy. My niece is a rodeo queen (only not really, because an actual "rodeo queen" is basically a beauty queen, and, my niece is more of the she kicks major butt and wins a lot, versus standing around and looking pretty. Which, she is.). My husband grew up on a ranch.

I grew up riding horses, having farm animals (or, notsomuch farm animals as much as "animals that have wool" i.e., sheep and llamas. True story) and living in the sticks. I LOVED it.

So, Friday night, the hubs and I headed out to the Texas Stampede. Which is a weekend of rodeo, music, petting zoos, and country gathering. Or something. Basically, it's awesome.

It's been a long time since I've been to any type of rodeo event--I think the last one was almost three years ago when I watched my niece tear it up at a local rodeo. That's too long!

Y'all? I had a blast. I forgot how much fun all that is. There's just nothin' like watching someone take on a big ol' mean bull and winning (bull riding). And saddle bronc riding--I love me some saddle bronc. And of course, between my husband and my brother in law, they knew like 85.3% of the guys there. One of my in laws neighbors is the world champ saddle bronc rider or something. He wasn't there. Sads.
Anyways. We had so much fun. Cheering on the guys and gals (barrel racing) as they gave it there all. Hollering for the kiddos in muttin bustin'. And laughing at ourselves. And then rocking out to Dierks Bentley until 1am. He does an awesome show, by the way. I was impressed. It also doesn't hurt that he's just darling and I pretty much want to run away with him. Too bad we're both married.

So.much.fun. And y'all? Let me tell you, nothing makes my accent come out like a bunch of cowboys. I don't so much have a southern accent, as I do a country accent. Which is not to be confused with redneck!

So, this is the secret life of yours truly. Corporate girl by day, country girl by night. And I wouldn't change it for anything.
We all know that I want my future kids to play football/cheer, but, if they wanted to do rodeo, I'd be a OK with that. Of course, we'd have to win the lottery first, as that crap is expensive.

(please excuse the horrid photos, they were taken with my cell phone with a crappy camera. I couldn't figure out how to work the husbands supa dupa fancy cell phone camera!)

3 comments:

Mojito Maven said...

ok this looks so fun!!!!!! i've always wanted to go and see something like this!

and when are we having coffee again?!

Sara McCarty said...

You and the Pioneer Woman really could be best friends!!! Love it!! My bestie is from Texas and took me to my first rodeo back in high school. I loved it too! Ryan and I always hit the rodeo when we're in Jackson Hole. There's just something about a man in boots!

Jessica said...

Our neighbors LUH-UVVV rodeo, I can see the appeal. It looks like a blast!