I had an amazing run on Sunday that really restored my faith in, well, I am going to be honest, myself. I smiled the entire time, laughed and felt like "hey! I remember this! I love this!". It was, to be sure, the best pre race long run I have ever, ever had in all my years of racing.
That doesn't mean I am going to go out there and PR, of this I have no illusions--I am just hoping to give it my all and cross the finish line proud.
This trip is a big deal to me for a lot of reasons. I consider this race to be my redemption run--the time to reclaim myself as a runner, to reclaim myself as a person. I am very excited for it and even went all nutso and got myself a Texas flag print sports bra to wear.
After Luxembourg, I am trekking back to my beloved England for a few days. A few days of catching up with Molly, old friends, and introducing one of my best friends to my London. I can't believe I get to show her my old haunts, my places, my memories. And I know she will love it as much as I do.
![]() |
| Gibbons take London! Me & Susan last October |
We are seeing my two favorite shows, Once--which is, the most beautiful thing on earth--she will love it, which is great because I've only ever seen it by myself or with my parents, who hated it. After the show, I'm dragging her to my favorite stagey bar. Fingers crossed I can sneak us in. Not that I have ever done that before or anything because I so haven't. (that said, anyone want to loan me their equity card for a week?)
I am going to show her my little pizza joint in Covent Garden, the hidden gems of St. James Park, the best hummus in the city (dude, to die for), the pubs where being a Southern American gets you whatever you want, the flat Molly and I almost rented, the place I used to have "working dinners" the professors. Oh, I am just so excited!
There will be a day trip to Cambridge and Stoke-on-Trent. There will lots of laughs. There will be food to eat, drinks to share and friends to see.
And, of course, the money moment: we are seeing Les Mis. I'm pretty sure it is a crime to go to London and not see "the longest running musical ever". Like me, she loves it to bits, and it will be a real treat to share it with someone who loves theatre as much as I do. It will be a joy to show her the back streets to the stage door, the old coffee shop down the way, and the little streets of Soho at night. I can't believe I am so lucky!
I know I will cry a lot. I have a lot to do in very little time.
I have a heart to reclaim, legs to recover and new memories to make. It will be, I desperately hope, the moment when the darkest night will end and the sun will rise.
After all, I've been in this darkness for far too long.





2 comments:
You're going to have a FANTASTIC time my love. :)
I CAN'T WAIT TO HEAR HOW IT GOES!! (Sorry for being shouty. I'm just so dang excited for you!!)
Post a Comment