Monday, June 3, 2013

When Sara & Mac came to town

Like a hundred zillion years ago, my bestie came to visit and she brought my baby nephew. It was, basically, The Best Weekend Ever since Broadway Birthday Extravaganza. For real.
Puppies and babies--my kryptonite
I sooooo needed a weekend with her. I can't even tell you. She just, she gets me. She completes me. This is how I know: we had a bag of Twizzlers and I brought a few into the living room and she looks and me and goes "why don't you have the whole bag?". That, that is the sign of true, honest to goodness BFF-ery. Well, that and geeking out over Hugh Jackman with me. 

Anywhoodle. And she brought my nephew, did I mention that? Well, that was awesome. I love, love, love that kiddo and he makes my heart so happy! I loved sharing my home with them and seeing the sweet, stubborn little kiddo he is becoming. Basically, he's Sara in miniature which means he's freaking rad.
"Aunt Ally! Let me go already, my god you are embarrassing!"
I picked them up from the airport and we had a nice quiet night at my house wherein my dogs fell in love with Mac (I think the feeling was mutual), Sara had a beer, and we introduced him to my favorite thng ever--Mariano's Mexican Hacienda.

Parenting win

More quesadillas, please!

The kid was a natural! And strangers gave us change so he could keep riding!
When Sara was here last, we went to the Renaissance Faire, which you can read about here--no, seriously, read it. I'll wait.
Ren Fair 2013

Did you read it? It's hilarious, isn't it?

Our big plan this year was to take Mac, even though we knew he wouldn't really understand it, we still wanted to try. And one of Sara's best friend's from St. Louis was actually visiting a friend in Dallas that same weekend, so they brought their kiddos and we met them for turkey legs and laughs.

Things were a little different this time; Sara had to manage holding a beer and pushing a stroller, we didn't get our fortunes told, and the day ended a little earlier, but, it was perfect. We got our flower crowns (but, no pictures to prove it!) and had a great day of laughing, people watching and catching up.  Seriously, the people watching. Want to feel good about yourself? Go to a Ren Faire.

That night, we did our standard ordering of Thai take out and watching musicals. I think that's our thing now, and I'm wholly ok with it! We ate Twizzlers, she listened to me whine, we laughed. A lot. We shared hopes and dreams and future plans. We swooned over Eddie Redmayne and Hugh Jackman. It was just what my heart needed.
Clearly, I'm cut out for parenthood--these are the toys I gave him
We finished up Sunday with brunch at Breadwinners and hanging out around the house. I fought back tears when I left them at the airport and then cried in my car on the way home. It was, the perfect weekend.
"Aunt Ally, WTF is this?"

"I wasn't thrilled a minute ago, Mom, still not thrilled..."

I cannot wait to see them again in July, when, after three years (!), Sara and I will finally see a stage production of Les Miserables together. Even more fitting that our Phantom, Hugh Panaro is starring in it. SO MEANT TO BE.

Sara, thank you for coming to see me! For braving a solo flight with a kiddo and for being My Person.  And? I hate Uncle Jamie!

I've even forgiven Mac for ruining my game. He better hope Hugh doesn't scare as easy!

2 comments:

Ashley said...

You guys are all too cute!! Love seeing the pictures. The Ren Faire sounds so neat - I don't think we have anything like that here!

Sara McCarty said...

How did I freaking miss this post?!! I am so far behind on blog reading. I love you and I loved our weekend together. I hope you're having a blast in London (how could you not) and I can't wait to see you in FIVE WEEKS!!!!!