(warning! warning! warning! possible honesty and emotional overshare. warning!)
So, as y'all know, it's birthday month (which, um, yeah, I haven't done crap to celebrate said birthday month other than my awesome half marathon--hmph, not cool), and soon enough, it will be marathon week (next week!) and then birthday week (um, the week after that). And then because I really am a child, birthday week shall extend into early December, 'cause that's when I can have my actual fun birthday dinner that will not take place at some shanty in Middle of Nowhere, Arizona. Just sayin'.
But, to this end, I'm feeling wildly unprepared for my upcoming birthday. And before I launch into my little schpeel here, let me clarify, that I am fully aware that I am young and have years ahead of me (hopefully)--fully aware. K. Thanks.
It's my 25th. On the 25th. Which, in and of itself is a big deal as far as I'm concerned.
However, I have fallen short on the list of things I wanted to do by my 25th. Yes, I've done a lot of things (changed legislation! bought a house! graduated college! started graduate classes!)--so, I'm not belittling that at all, but, I must admit that I was and still am completely unprepared for the emotions that would flood me as I reflect on my upcoming birthday.
2009 has been tough. We lost our sweet sheltie girl, Hanna. We lost dear family friends. I've battled a mystery illness which keeps me up most nights and has caused me to wage a never ending battle with my weight (considering I'd managed to lose 10 lbs from January-June--then August just ruined it all) which of course has led to depression--and well, we don't really need to go into that.... Yeah, 2009? Hard. We're fortunate enough that I have a job, but, my husband, who graduated top of his class, with honors, with awesome work experience, still does not. Thus, all the fun things we wanted to do to our home, we cannot, as we cannot afford them. We aren't any closer to having children than we were one year ago, which makes me sad, and I haven't made it to Italy yet. This is the real crime.
I look at so many of my friends who have gorgeous houses, graduate degrees, good jobs--and are my age, or just a smidge older and it can be hard. Who am I kidding, it is hard. There, I said it. And yes, it can be hard to be grateful for what I do have, because I know that really, it is a lot. I am a very blessed little lady. No denying that. And I am grateful.
Problem is, each year, I set goals (this problem also arises around December 31st), and I achieve none of them. Doesn't fail. No matter how simple (paint upstairs bath, anyone? How hard is that, really? I can promise you it won't be done by December 31st, 2009 as I said I would last year), I cannot accomplish them for whatever reason. Sure, things happen, money goes elsewhere, things pop up, life happens. Sure. But, why, oh why is it so hard for me to stick to things (like writing my book, for example)? I have no idea.
But, I do know this: I know that on Saturday, I completed yet another 20(.3) mile run. I ran my little heart out for 20 miles (well, the first 6 sucked, but, I found an Oreo at our water stop and I kid you not, it was like angels sang down from heaven and everything after that totally kicked butt. Note to self, have husband post up at mile 6 and 20 with Oreos). I finished strong, with my last mile being my fastest (was I just dying to be finished? I'll never know for sure). I felt freaking awesome (I can walk today!).
I know that God blessed with me with a body that can run 20 miles. And that will run 26.2 miles in less than two weeks (gulp). I know that one year ago, the thought of running 6 miles made me want to crawl under a rock. I know that I've gained some weight, my butt is freaking huge, my legs are chubby and my love handles are out of control, but, I can run 20 miles. I don't really know what all this means, but, I'm really trying to make myself feel better since I was told by a certain work colleague that I'd love marathon training because I'd be in the best shape of my life. I beg to differ, because I looked way better in May, but, whatevs (slightly bitter, what can I say, at least I'm honest).
I know that for once, I will have completed a goal. A milestone. A finish.
It's not what I set out to do on my 24th birthday, or even on December 31, 2008, but, it's what I set out to do and I'm doing it.
I don't think I've ever been so giddily excited over anything. Seriously. This is right up there with my wedding day (which was really a blur, and I'd like to watch the video of it sometime because I remember exactly .5% of the entire day).
I can't believe that almost another year has gone by. I can't believe that I haven't achieved nearly anything that I wanted to by this time, nor can I believe that in 13 days, I will run a marathon. I can't believe that I have completed two half marathons, two 15ks, and two 10k races this year. Never in a million years.
Sometimes things don't work out.
But, sometimes they do.
Sometimes, you find yourself in the most unexpected places.
Like in a pair of hot pink running shoes (which are sadly going to be laid to rest on November 23rd, 2009 as they have served their purpose--and considering I recently lost one of two remaining toenails, am pretty sure I should have retired them in October--oh well).
You just never know.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


18 comments:
May I say that you are completely and utterly awesome? You have accomplished so much this year! And 25 on the 25th is your Golden Birthday, so celebrate! You know, I have not run 20 miles yet, and I completely admire you for being able to do that. :)
As far as the upstairs bathroom goes...buy that can of paint and just start taping the place up. It took me and my hubby about a year to finally paint the office and guestroom, but MAN, it looks 1 million times better.
Congrats on that big run! And you're definitely going to make that marathon yours.
It's your golden birthday! Hurrah! You can run so far! Hurrah! Although you think you don't look as good, think how much bigger and stronger your heart, lungs and leg muscles are! And that is my Pollyanna pep talk. :)
So true - you just never know.
I'm sorry this has been such a hard year... but I wow I am so impressed with you! Go you!
I totally understand where you are coming from - I am right there with you. I just try to remind myself that life takes you on a journey and that you are suppose to be where you are, and that {and this is the most important} that everything will be okay in the end and will be exactly the way its meant to be! Keep strong, you are running a MARATHON, so awesome. Happy birthday month!
I'm sorry it's been a tough year, but can I say how amazed and inspired I am that you can run 20 miles! That is incredible, I die after 4 miles!
Hooray for you and being a running-stud!
Buy paint, call me. I'll help. (or I'll bring someone qualified to help, I'm pretty much a total spaz, so you really don't want me doing anything but taping... :)
Yay for seeing you Saturday!
On my 25th birthday, I was less than a year out of college. I took too long to graduate and a graduate degree was not an option. I'd been married for less than a year, had just relocated from KC to California (that's what my wife wanted, not me) and I was living with my parents while my wife was living with hers. She didn't want our puppy to sleep alone at her parents' house, I didn't want to sleep on a sleeper sofa at her parents' house, and the puppy couldn't sleep at my parents' house. So yes, I was married and living with my parents and going on dates with my wife.
I had once run 6 miles at about a 12-minute pace, although I didn't really run the whole thing. I drank too much in those days and I had no idea when I was going to have kids. I had just quit a good job that was exactly what I went to school for to take a job I swore I'd never do. I didn't want to be in California. And when I saw my wife for lunch on my birthday, the restaurant screwed everything up and we had to cut the meal short so she could get back to work.
I'll be 35 on the 22nd, the day you run your first marathon. Life hasn't gotten any easier over the past 10 years. In fact, it's much more difficult, and this year has been very challenging. But those challenges are what keep things interesting, and I'm glad I'm still riding the roller coaster with my wife. Do you listen to Gary Allan? Life ain't always beautiful, but it's a beautiful ride. You're doing pretty well. I'd say not too Shabby!
Jeremiah 29:11
It sounds like you have accomplished ALOT. My 25th birthday was the hardest for me, not sure why, but it was. I felt the same emotions you are feeling, but then I realized that I am where God wants me to be. I had accomplished alot and will continue to set goals and accomplish them as well. I am turning 30 next year so I am pretty sure I will be locking myself in my bedroom with several bottles of wine.
Darlin'--
I turned 25 and cried my freakin' eyes out. Then went to the spa and bought myself a massage -- a birthday tradition I've kept every year since (except this last one when I was pregnant and sick and too gross-feeling to enjoy a massage). I felt the same way so you won't get any preaching from me! However, I can tell you that subsequent birthdays weren't nearly as hard. There's something about the 25th year, and then...you get over it. And all is well again. Happy Birthday my friend!
I am the same way. I'm a goal-setting list-maker who is constantly frustrated with myself because I never get to check it all off.
but we do what we do. We're not perfect.
We're still pretty cool; you are definitely downright awesome.
And don't you forget it, sister!
forget painting the upstairs bathroom. do you use that bathroom anyway? you're so amazing. you work full time and still find the time to train so intensely while dealing with the mystery illness. hang in there. you inspire so many!
I had a REALLY hard time with turning 25 last year. It was similar.. I felt like I hadn't done things I always thought I'd do by 25. My biggest struggle was that I was 25 and still single. (Now I'm working on 27.. and still single, haha). I think that for me, I finally realized that my life so far had been a lot of ups and downs and that it would continue to be lots of ups and downs. It all comes down to how to you look at it... you have to kind of seek out the beauty in where you're at and what you've done and live in the moment without worrying too much about the future.
I'm sorry you're having a rough time honey! 25 is a rough one. When I turned 25 (a year and a half ago, but feels like a zillion), I was working on my thesis, which was, funnily enough, on quarterlife crises. Freudian, anyone? Anyway, what you're thinking about is totally fine, and to be expected. If you did have babies and a settled life, you'd be worried because it wasn't exciting enough, and so on. It's part of the age, we can't help it. But, um, you DO kick ass for your running and your house - both things that I can't do/haven't done, although I have degrees and blah blah blah. So, grass is greener.
Anyway, keep your head up love! And go buy paint for that bathroom STAT! It's a two day job, and how awesome will you feel afterward? Plus, the hubby is at home...maybe he could do it?
love yas! Muah!
Can I just tell you, you are fantastic? I am so amazingly proud of you and what you have accomplished this year. And of what you will accomplish in two weeks! I am so excited for you it is ridiculous! I wish I could watch you run you race and see your pretty smiling face when you finish :)
I know it's hard, especially reading blogs, to remember what we have and not what we don't. I often compare myself to others and feel sorry for myself. But then I realize that I am truly happy with my life and the people I have around me...and maybe there is more to the happy-go-lucky posts that people write. I'm sure they have their bad days too.
I'm sorry 2009 has turned out the way you had hoped. I know you're disappointed but just know that you are an amazing person and will get to all of those things on your list. One day at a time! :)
I could have written this post myself (except for the running 26.2miles part) with my birthday around the corner. I'm trying to ignore the immense disappointment that I feel over the past year and I don't know how to deal with it - even though I know I have it better than some. Let me know if you figure it out. :)
I think sometimes our priorities just change. Is painting that bathroom really that big of a deal in the grand scheme of things? Maybe not. But completing several half marathons, pushing yourself outside of your comfort zone, becoming a MARATHONER!, that all is...
Hang in there, I know how frustrating it is!
I feel the same way sometimes (and I just realized that I'll have my golden birthday in April...also 25 years on the 25th!) and I start playing the comparing game with my friends (and with complete strangers on other blogs and around town).
Remind yourself of all the good things as much as possible and try to enjoy right now! I don't actually know the key to this as it's something I struggle with daily, but THAT'S my current goal, instead of a long list of the "next steps."
Post a Comment