Thursday, December 16, 2010

Sneaky Little Elf

One of the things I miss most about my mom is her ability to just "know". Christmas shopping for her was a breeze because I would just buy her stuff I wanted and she'd love it. Occasionally, we purchased each other the same gift.

She'd buy me things that I mentioned in passing months ago. Things I never knew I always wanted.

It's silly, but, I miss that so much. My dad and stepmom need a list. And 95% of the time they don't follow the list anyway and I end up with pajamas and a potato peeler. Now, there's nothing wrong with potatoes and pajamas, I just, if you ask me for a list, freaking purchase off the list or give me money. These are your options.

Then, on my birthday, I was gifted a mini food processor that I'd seen on a shopping trip with my aunt several months ago. MY AUNT. My dad's baby sister. Who is nothing like my mom. Not even a little bit.

I was floored. It was the best gift I'd received in ages. No, it wasn't the most expensive, it wasn't even on my list, but, she remembered that I'd said I wanted a mini food processor and she bought it for me. It's totally something I a) wouldn't put on a list and b) wouldn't purchase for myself (because unless it's candles or clothes from Anthro it's really hard for me to justify purchases). But she did. She remembered.

Last night, I came home to a huge box waiting for me and my husband. She had told him last week she was sending us a dog from Sears (since back in the day you could purchase a dog from Sears!). We were slightly concerned we were getting some sort of dog food or something like that. Hm.

I opened up te box to find this:


The ice cream maker attachment for my KitchenAid!!

Again, I mentioned this to her months ago. She remembered. I was floored.

She's become the elf my mother once was and it's awesome. I think I even got a little teary. Over an ice cream maker!

And because I fancy myself a superb elf, I purchased her a print of the lyrics to a song my grandma used to sing and that we all sang at my grandma's funeral. I win niece of the year.

Hopefully.

(I don't mean for this to sound all braggy, I was just really surprised by my aunt. We've never been really close and it really touched my heart that she would think of me like that. I am grateful to my dad and stepmom for everything--including potato peelers. I was just humbled that someone in my family other than my mom actually "gets" me)

Merry Christmas!

9 comments:

Kerr said...

how nice! you are lucky to have such a wonderful aunt in your life. merry xmas!

That Pink Girl said...

What a thoughtful gift! (both you y'all!)
Maybe you mom is doing some whispering this holiday season. You just never know where little evles get their inspiration!

Sara McCarty said...

Awesome! Best aunt ever! I love when people really put thought into the gifts they give - it always means so much more.

P.S. I have the ice cream maker attachment and it is the BOMB. You will die from loving it so much.

Jessica said...

That is totally awesome she remembered you like those things.

I try to be like that too. When someone says they like something, I say it over and over in my head thinking that will lock it away and magically reappear when I go shopping. Sometimes...it works. ;)

THE Stephanie said...

So sweet! Those are the best kind of gifts.

Becky said...

You're so cute, SP. If it counts for anything, I was on Anthro today and thought about you!!! Kisses to you, Sweets.

Classy Fab Sarah said...

Sooo sweet that she's become the elf in your family!! And yay for that ice cream attachment! WOohoo!

d.a.r. said...

Thoughtful gifts are just the best!!

Lucky in Love said...

What a special aunt you have :) I'm so glad you have someone like that in your life!! So sweet :)