One of my “goals” this year, is to read more. Read like actual books. Not so much my online celebrity gossip nonsense and my “how to run faster” Runner’s World obsession, but, like books with lots of pages and plot lines and everything. I know, really ambitious.
I go through periods where I read a ton, and then I can go like a year and not read a novel. This is no bueno.
Especially since it’s said that to be a writer, you must also read. Welp, once upon a time, 500 million years ago, I went through a life crisis and decided “must document this in written form because I might be creative, but, I cannot make this shiz up” and, someday, someday, I hope that I will find that little piece of my life bound forever in the shelves of Barnes and Noble. I mean, a girls gotta have goals, right?
Anyways. I’m either read a lot, or, just read Allure Magazine and eat Bon Bons.
Currently, we’re in the “I read everything I can get my mitts on”.
As we know, I devoured Water for Elephants in ONE DAY and en route to St. Louis in January, I finished Firefly Lane by Kristin Hannah—like, it took me two sittings to read it. TWO. I never do this.
I recently also read Flying Changes by Sara Gruen and was bummed because I didn’t know it was a sequel to Riding Lessons and I would have read that one first! I finished that book in about two days. Loved it. I love her style of writing.
So, when the husband/puppies gifted me an iPad over the weekend (I KNOW!) my first order of business, after downloading the Sons of Anarchy and Royal Wedding aps respectively (I bet that’s an ap that Clarence House never thought they’d be in the same sentence with), I loaded up my iTunes account and went in search for a book.
Enter, True Colors by Kristin Hannah.
And then continue with me staying up until 2AM because I could not stop reading the damn thing, ugly cry and all and oh my gosh I was so sucked it and it was so good and I want to read it all over again. I read it in one day. And it's not a short book.
So, to summarize: I’m really tired, I really like Kristin Hannah’s books and, the iPad is going to be the demise of me ever sleeping again EVER. But, I can watch the Royal Wedding and get a Jax Teller fix, so, there's that.
Pass the Diet Coke.
Monday, May 9, 2011
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


14 comments:
Oh, must add that to my (ever increasing) To Read list, which is currently about 11 miles long. :) P.S. I am stealing your ipad this weekend.
I will add that to my list! I liked WFE the book and not so much the movie
Sons of Anarchy app? Why did I not know about this until now? I must download immediately! Thanks for sharing that very important information.
I just had Firefly Lane from the library but had to turn it back in because I didn't get around to reading it before it was due. I'll have to request it again.
I just happened on your blog from another blog. I just wanted to say I love Kristin Hannah! Her books are amazing! You should check out Night Road & Winter Garden. They are great and will definitely give you a ugly cry.
I've been reading like crazy too! :)
Oooh, I'm earmarking this for when I get done with my big ole stack of books! I love to read too, but always felt bad for ignoring my roommate to read. I'd get so engrossed that I'd loose track of time! Now I can (and do) read to my heart's content)
I haven't ventured over to ereaders yet. I just got MY iPad am seriously in love too! I have the the iBooks app but no iBooks...yet.
Read " The Help". It i s so good!
first of all, ty is jealous of your ipad. i told him when he gets his that i would be immediately downloading the royal wedding app (duh) and then i told him you got the sons of anarchy app thingy (total non apple person here) and he is psyched you like it. see, youre instant friends :) move here now. thanks.
oh, and ill be reading water for elephants on my plane ride to stl this weekend.
This may be why I don't need an iPad. Because I already have this problem with regular books. I've lost days and weeks of sleep thanks to books.
And loved True Colors too:)
I'm a huge reader too! My last vacation I read 10 books in one week, it was a record. There is nothing I enjoy more. You are also right, reading will help with your writing, I have a secret dream of becoming a writer, well a published writer at any right. Good luck with your goal!
Hi missy, i miss you!!! I have been dying for a good read too. Maybe I will try your suggestions :) xxxooo
THERE IS A ROYAL WEDDINGS APP?
Ahem, excuse me. I will resist grabbing my iPad & downloading immediately to comment - are you using the Kindle app on your iPad? I just love it.
And thank you for the author rec's; I've heard of Gruen, of course, but will add Hannah to my list as well.
I go through these spells too. I LOVE reading. Like love it. However I've sort of slowed down since the little came around. Fortunately after hearing all kinds of book recs from ladies like you, it makes me pick the books back up. Thanks for that!
...i should probably read more :P
Post a Comment