Friday, November 11, 2011

Castle On A Cloud

(yes, that's a Les Mis reference. I'm having a mega longing for London today. Like, I'm about to just buy a one way ticket and figure everything out later) (for real)

Before the padre and I jetted off across the pond, we celebrated my stepmom's birthday at Hearst Castle. (err, back up. We went to a big fancy Friends of The Castle benefit dinner that happened to be on my stepmom's birthday. We didn't legit have her birthday party there)
Now, most of you west coasters will know about Hearst Castle, but, in case you don't, I'll give you a brief overview.

It was built in 1919 for newspaper mogul William Randolph Hearst and is just breaktaking--it very much captures the glory days and Roaring 20s.

It's located on a hill in San Simeon with sweeping views of the ocean and coastline (however, when we were there it was foggy--go figure). It is now a state park and is open for tours during the day. I've been there probably 100 times, and I still love it--it's so magical.

We had dinner around The Neptune Pool. Which was awesome, but, uh, really cold.
Birthday girl, padre and me.

ISN'T IT AMAZING?!


My daddy wearing someone's leopard print scarf to stay warm. He's a nerd.
That's right, there were synchronized swimmers. They must have been cold.
The pool at night.
Me and my stepmomma. (I looked better earlier in the night. My hair doesn't do so well with drizzle)
Looking down on the party.


I'm so thankful to my dad who included me in such a unique and special experience, it was great.

I felt like a real life Princess. Which, isn't to say that I'm not. Or something. Whatever.

If you ever get the chance, please, please, go check out Hearst Castle! You will not be sorry.

(aerial view photo from here)

4 comments:

REBrown said...

So awesome!

Wasn't this the house that has stairs that go nowhere and rooms with no doors or something?

Kaci said...

Wow! Great pictures!

Abbie said...

How gorgeous!! Despite the rain, it sounds like the celebration turned out great and so did your hair;)

Sarah said...

i like to go there in my sleep...