Monday, November 21, 2011

That Time Of Year Again

Time where I get all reflective and moody and blah--because it's almost my birthday.

Remember when you were a kid and you couldn't wait for your birthday and your cake and OH MY GOD, PRESENTS?! Well, let me tell you, after age 21, that is gone. And honestly? I don't handle getting older very well. Like, at all.

I didn't accomplish ohhh, 80% of the stuff I said I wanted to do by my next birthday, but, you know what? I'm ok with that. A little bummed, but, ok. Even still, I've had a kick ass year.

I went to St. Louis to visit my bestie (ahem, who is PREGNANT BY THE WAY! I have this whole fantasy all worked out that when Baby Mac is here and I can tell him/her all about the time we went to NYC when mama was pregnant and OMG so excited!)

Spent many a long work day laughing and judging people with the BFF.

The husband finally got a job
.

I had an amazing weekend in Boston with some of my favorite people ever.

Went to a Renaissance Faire
.

Welcomed my baby brother home on his leave for R&R.

Spent four wonderful days in NYC with my sister and nieces where my youngest niece fell in love with The Phantom of The Opera--just as her mother and I had done years ago.

Enjoyed some time in the mountains with my family.

Owned up about my stuggle to have a baby.

Showed y'all the tacky home decor that my BFF and I exchange.

Went to London
where I fell in love with Les Mis all over again and saw THE DRESS.

Ran a marathon relay in Maine with my separated at birth sisters, Sarah and Danielle.

Found a theme song
.

Etc, etc.

There was a lot in this last year that wasn't so great, to be honest. The husbands unemployment was a huge challenge for us. I spent a great deal of time traveling for work, and even more time being sick and beaten down. But, we got through it.

So, while this year hasn't been the year I dreamt it would be, I will look back in it as one of the hardest but also one of the best years of my life. I owe that to my friends and my family--who love me when I'm a bitch, and take care of me when I need it. Thank you.

I don't know what this next year holds, but, I do know that I will be celebrating in style with Sara in NYC, I'll be running a marathon in Madrid with Christy, I'll welcome home my baby sister in April, and I'll travel to Montreal in May to see my niece dance.

I couldn't ask for anything more.

Well, except a trip back to London to see Ramin Karimloo in Les Mis. Or, Hugh Jackman agreeing to marry me. Or a home in the English countryside. Maybe an island?

But, other than that, nothing ;)

So, as we approach Thanksgiving and my birthday, I have so much to be grateful for. I hope you do too. I hope you know, each and every person reading this, that I am thankful for you--truly.

Thank you for giving me this little space on the interwebs and for your sweet comments, kind emails and amazing friendship.

xoxo

10 comments:

Newlyweds on a Budget said...

On my 25th birthday, I was single and hated my job. By my 26th birthday, I had been laid off, found a new job, met a new guy, and had been married for 20 days. A lot can happen in a year...

I hope you find this next year to be one of your most fabulous yet. Happy Birthday!

REBrown said...

That sounds like one heck of a year!

Anonymous said...

All those wonderful things in one year? I've had a blast following along with all of it. I love you girl and I love that you use this blog to share both the good, and the bad, times in your life. Cheers to an even better year up ahead. Happy early birthday!

Becky said...

I love you. I just...love you. And that is all.

Dollface said...

I am grateful for you! Check my blog today :)

Kaci said...

Wow your year makes my year look sad. =)

Carolyn said...

Happy almost birthday! :) Just remember to focus on all the cool stuff you DID do this past year. I'm really good at focusing on everything that I don't accomplish, but we should both try to look at the good stuff we got done! :) It'll make your birthday a lot more fun!

Katie said...

hugs to you. what a year!

Sara McCarty said...

What an awesome year! I'm so happy and honored I got to spend a little piece of it with you! And NYC for your birthday is going to be the most amazing experience EVER! I'm so freaking pumped! And I have a feeling this coming up year is going to be a REALLY good one for you. :) Love!

Jessica said...

I think you've accomplished a TON in the last year! You've done more traveling than I could WISH for. :)