Thursday, December 13, 2012

On bravery, and "bringing it home!"

2012 has certainly been a doozy of a year. I am a very social person, and it is very hard for me to be alone and to do things alone. But, this is the year I've done it.

I've opera'ed alone. I've heard the people sing alone. I have even gone to the movies alone--which for me is the scariest. I don't know why.

Last night there was a concert I was dying to see.
FINALLY
I've been trying to see the Ramin Karimloo in his London concerts for a year--once I even HAD tickets but we ended up getting waylaid and I missed the show.  I have seen him on the West End multiple times and even at Royal Albert Hall once--he's my jam. Musical theatre kid turned folk singer. LIKE ME! If you know me at all, you know bluegrass and folk are in my soul--totally attributed to my Irish and Kentucky moonshiner roots. Not to mention that he can rock some showtunes--boy is my JAM.

I debated not going, surely I could see him in London or New York or SOMETHING. But, I mean, what are the odds he'd ever be in Dallas again?! I had no date and really, really wanted to share the night with someone--anyone. (I was actually meant to have a date, but it fell through) But, I strapped on my brave face and headed out for a night of "broadgrass" (Broadway and bluegrass, get it?!). Even the little usher chick was concerned that I was alone.
At least I looked like this.

And I did fight back tears--for multiple reasons--but, once he started? Once I was transported back to Her Majesty's and Royal Albert Hall when he sang Music of The Night? When I was once again fifth row at The Queen's listening to his "Godddd onnnn highhhhhhh"--when that happened, I was at peace. Alone, but happy.

(please excuse the crappy iphone shots, I was too stressed to remember to bring my fancy camera--duh SP, DUH)
"He is young, he's afraid...."
Texting my bestie, Ro during the show and I laughed for a solid ten minutes. She gets me.

Jammin'. 

Having a chat to the audience. 

You know I love me a banjo. 

So, as 2012 comes to an end, I look back on this as the year that I was brave. The year I saw a zillion concerts, plays and movies that I wanted to, because I wanted to and I do not want to live a boring life in front of my TV. I want to experience! Even if I am alone.

Well, until, he comes to my rescue.

I CAN'T STOP WITH LES MIS I JUST CAN'T.

(Jean ValJackman on set pic from here)
(also, I'm pretty proud of my Jean ValJackman term. Copyrighted by SP 2012, yo)

2 comments:

Sara McCarty said...

You are incredibly brave! And incredibly gorgeous, lady. You hair is amazing. And I want to borrow your blingy top! Jean ValJackman is the best term I've ever heard.

katherinebee said...

That is amazing that you saw him in concert. I'm so jealous!