It’s that time of year again. The time of two a days, drills and camp.
The start of football season!
My word. I am a sucker for high school and college ball. NFL, I can take it or leave it. Perhaps it’s because I have no emotional tie to it. But HS or college? Be still my fluttering heart, I love it.
This should come as no surprise to those that know me, but, I was a cheerleader in high school (shocking, I know). I think I even got a plaque or something for most photogenic, or most smiley, or crap like that. I don’t remember. But, at the time, it was a really big deal. Maybe it was most improved? Grr, this is going to drive me crazy. Must find that next time I am home!
We each had a football player that we had to buy weekly goodies for, and make treats for. Mine was my surrogate little brother. We also shared a locker. He was my high school BFF. We had so much fun together. I miss him.
I love nothing more than pep rallies and run throughs (that’s what we called that big sign that the players would rip to shreds—what did y’all call it?). I love poms (do not add the extra “pom”), megaphone and pleats. I adore all things football.
I so desperately want my future children to be cheerleaders and football players—this horrifies my husband to no end—I was Suzie High School, he was Too Cool for School. It’s a wonder we're married! Our boys will play football and our girls will cheer. Done and done.
The Kenny Chesney song “The Boys of Fall” makes me all happy. It reminds me of simple times. Of screaming my heart out every Friday night, of away games and Oreo cookies, of cleaning my shoes every Saturday morning, of bonfires and late nights—the happy days of my youth.
Not to say that high school was the best years of my life, because it surely wasn’t, but, it was a good time. My mom was alive. My mom was the best cheer mom EVER. My dad and stepmom had season tickets to my high school football and basketball games, for no other reason than to watch me cheer. It was fun. My biggest worry was how much hairspray I needed, or if we had enough green paint for our cars, I mean, really, it was a simple joy.
The victories. The defeat when we were so close to a CIF Championship game…. The tears we cried. The fun we had.
Our glory days.
T--T-E--T-E-M-P-L-E-T-O-N—We’re Templeton ::clap clap::
Sack that quarterback—defense—make contact!
E-A-G--L-E-S, Eagles, Eagles, We are the best!
Yes, those were some of my high school cheers. Am slightly mortified....
I can’t wait to live that again.
Even if it means I’ll be old, and the parent of a teenager.
Of course, I have to have a child first in order for him/her to become a teenager. Details, people, details!
Do you love football season as much as I do? What are your favorite high school memories?
Wednesday, August 18, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


7 comments:
I spent every single Friday night football game in high school at the pool, so no fond memories there. College though? Free admission {actually athletes were *encouraged/required* to attend} to sold out games in the heart of the SEC? Oh be still my {hot and sweaty and slightly claustrophobic} heart. Oh I love college football. Love, love, love.
I love how your (and my, too) fav HS memories revolve around the extracurricular stuff. Mine? The disgustingly nauseous feelings while standing cold, shivering in buns and singlets at the starting line of a XC meet in the fall. The emotions of sprinting into the finish line, immediately swarmed by teammates in before you, then turning around to cheer in the rest of your teammates. Sweaty hugs, stinky bus rides, muddy spikes. Gaaah, I miss being on a team :)
I LOVE LOVE LOVE football season! I did dance team and still remember our stand cheers and all the moves to the fight song! And I cannot wait for UT football to begin... I already have some of my outfits planned :)
(We called the big signs "break-throughs"!)
I'm totally with you on college football (as high school was spent on the tennis court, rather than the football field/stadium)! Everything about it is great - getting up at dawn to tailgate, BBQ and beer with friends, the excitement of the game (which, for my poor school has been less exciting lately - sorry K-State)...bliss!
(Not to mention this all occurs during the absolute BEST season of the year - ahh, Fall.)
This post made me so happy! I love high school football too! I was a pompom girl/dancer and on the flag core. I just love half time shows and marching bands and "Be Aggressive!" and hot chocolate under a blanket on the sidelines. My heart is melting right now!
I totally get the nostalgic high school football thing and love it too, but what if your future children want to run cross-country instead of cheer or tackle?! I'm pretty sure they're going to inherit some running genes from you...just warning you! :)
Oh my goodness, I am SO excited for hs/college football to start! And I would totally cheer NOW of they ever have a need for old, slightly pudgy cheerleaders who can't really tumble anymore. In a heartbeat.
Can't wait to hear the drumline, gussy up in burnt orange and hollar my head off. Hook 'em!!
Post a Comment