My brother in law and now sister in law got married way out in the sticks, which is totally fitting because my brother in law is a cowboy and my sister in law teaches ag science. It was perfectly country and sweet.
A little backstory: We never thought my brother in law would get married because, well, that's what conventional people do, and he is not conventional and also, why get married? He's very stubborn and must do everything his way.
And so about 5 years ago the brother in law was dating a chick, who, well, had some issues with the law (I prefer the term “crackwhore”, but, that is not in good taste. But, it’s the truth. Tacky or no). And then, because God has a sense of humor, she got pregnant. The day she was released from jail. You can’t make this up.
And I was all upset because I’m the married one and I married the oldest son and damnit, why am I not pregnant? (still, not pregnant, fyi. Suspect am barren, but, that’s another story for another time) Thus ensues several years of turmoil as my brother in law tries to do the right thing and stay with Crazy. He’s a great dad. Crazy is crazy. Crazy runs off with child, and thus ensues custody war. Then child support. Then more drama because Crazy is crazy.
Then brother in law meets sister future sister in law and she likes him despite the Crazy. And she’s sweet to his kiddo and he loves her too. And she also buys him a parakeet and if nothing else, this kid gets bribed with pets more than anyone else I know. Mother in law bought him chickens. It’s hilarious.
Future sister in law wants to move in together and brother in law freaks out because oh my hell, that might be conventional and no will not do it. To which I say “you want to live with him?”. So then they break up. And it’s on again, off again, etc, etc.
Then it was on again, and pretty serious. And we all gave him hell about “propose to the woman already” because a) she WANTS TO MARRY YOU b) she has a job! C) she is not crazy (except for the whole wanting to marry you thing, which, is suspect, but, whatever) d) her family is from Hawaii=we want family vacations e) for real, she’s totally out of your league, marry the girl before she comes to her senses.
So, he finally proposes and by “proposes” we mean, throws and ring at her and says “wanna make it official?”. He’s romantic like that. (I suspect this runs in the family because my proposal went something like that as well. Sheesh)
Then, they plan a cowboy wedding in the country because what’s more authentic than my redneck brother in law and my Hawaiian rancher sister in law to be than getting married in the sticks? Exactly.
And it’s lovely. And no one gets drunk and pukes on the dancefloor (not that this happened at my wedding or anything… I’m looking at you Malia), no one starts a fight, and my brother in law does not stumble through handwritten vows (because they took that part out).
And now, I have a new sister in law. And my brother in law has a wife. Which is funny. Because I never thought I’d see this day. We love you J&J!
My husband walking his grandmas down the aisle.
Jamie (my new sissy!) and her dad walking down the aisle to an Alison Krause song--I can't remember which one! (looooved her dress!)
Jamie giving my nephew a ring just like the one she gave his daddy. It was so sweet. He gave her a smooch right after this.
Husband and wife walking back up the aisle to "A Little More Country Than That".
Me and my momma in law after the ceremony.
Mother son dance to "Don't Let Your Babies Grow Up To Be Cowboys". Too perfect! And Jamie danced with her new son!
My husband and my momma in law!Y'all, it was seriously so sweet. My brother in law walked his son down the aisle to "Highway 20 Ride" and I don't think there was a dry eye in the place. He drives or flies to Oregon from LA every month to have a week with his son. It's so heartbreaking and so sweet.
Having a sweet moment with his son and new wife during the ceremony was beautiful--and Jamie giving her new son a ring was so sweet--just like her (step)dad gave to her when he and her mom got married--which she still has, 24 years later.
Jamie--welcome to the craziness we call our family. We're thrilled for you! The girls and I are so excited to welcome another sister into our fold. Yay!


8 comments:
Seriously, so sweet!! I love weddings that have those special personal touches---where they aren't just going through the motions! I love it!
And dang girl, you look beautiful, as always!
Congrats to your B.I.L and new S.I.L! Yay for family! Also, your hair? So gorgeous and wavy and long. Lastly, you must tell your engagement story! I'm a sap for cute stories like that and I simply must hear it :)
You look beautiful! I love your new sis-in-law's wedding dress, and the happy ending to the crack whore!
I adore the down-home, sweet nature of this wedding! And also, girly, you are looking fabulous!
I love weddings! Congrats on the new SIL! Your crazy family sounds a LOT like mine...are you sure we're not realated?!
I could not be more in love with this wedding. I love that they did something totally them...and the cowboys hats :) Ha! Perfect!
Glad you had a great time!
Would love to hear YOUR proposal story. Ours was lame at best. He surprised me after dinner (at home, I cooked) by slamming the ring box down on the coffee table and saying, "I know you thought I'd never ask, so there."
Uh, yeah. That really happened.
Okay, I'm completely creeping on your blog now that I've found it. Who in your family is Polynesian? I noticed the leis, which are a huge part of every single one of my family gatherings, so I had to ask!
Post a Comment