Thursday, December 4, 2008

We interrupt your regularly scheduled programming

Excuse me whilst I remove my Happy Go Lucky Glass Half Full Eating Thousands of Cinnamon Bears and Diet Coke Whilst Watching The Office usual shiny self tiara and regress into The Grinch (cue dum dum duummmm music please).

You see, every year for the last few, I have attempted to get into the Holiday Spirit. Totally doesn't work. I can't buy decorations, I can't do anything. Which usually is no problemo because we usually take off for home sweet beach in mid December. Not this year. This year, we are staying firmly planted in our house and making la familia come to us. Great idea in theory. Theory!

I lost mi madre five years ago this Christmas, which means, Christmas and I do not get along. I haven't quite sorted out if it is because I lost her three days before Christmas, or if literally all of my Christmas joys involved her and I can't do them (i.e., now I am le Grinch) because she's not here. Or both.

Last year was torture. Torture. Torture I tell you! Sitting in a courtroom day after day will cause you to shut down and want to rip out your newly highlighted hair. You will cry, you will storm around the house like an angry toddler and you will get out of decorating the Christmas tree (victory!). But, generally, will feel like Chinese water torture on a daily basis (this has nothing to do with lawyers, etc--this has to do with holy crap, being in court sucks in general. I love my lawyers, they're awesome. I also realize that saying 'my lawyers' sounds totally pretentious and rude. Apologies. They've been in my life for 4 years. We're tight like that).

As bad as last year was, I told myself that this year would be better. It would be fantastic. This was also when I thought I would have le bebe to share this Christmas with. Guess what? No le bebe. Just two dogs and a cat (who's butt is balding by the way--should I be concerned?). No bambinos for SP. And, we're in our own home. Our home. It feels so wrong to be hosting my family in my home without the all important Holiday Matriarch.

I thought I'd be OK. I don't know why I thought I could do this--hell, I get teary watching that Wal Mart commercial where they play Carol of the Bells (dude, I do. Not good).

Driving home last night our lovely theory was proved incorrect as I suddenly began balling my eyes out when O Holy Night came on the radio (note to self: stop listening to Christmas music!). Mi mama's favorite carol. And I nearly got in an accident because I was crying so hard. Yep, this Christmas will be interesting to say the least.

I better find myself some chocolate. Stat.

I now resume my tiara and go about Happy Go Lucky-ness. Who's watchin' The Office tonight? (me, me, me!).

11 comments:

Whitney said...

Oh girl, I am so sorry for the loss of your mom. That has to be one of the hardest things to go through. Ugh. I bet your mom would still want you to deck your halls and have a fabulous Christmas, even though she is not here to share it with you. But I completely understand your lack of motivation for it. I am sure I would be the same way.

Melissa @ I Pick Pretty said...

I am so sorry about your mom. We can be Grinchy together this year. Bah humbug.

Yes, yes to "The Office" and chocolate. Although I don't believe I've ever said "no, no" to those old friends.

Oh, speaking of, can't believe I forgot being Giada's BFF on my career list. Good catch!

koopermom said...

I say be the grinch. You will enjoy Christmas again when you are ready. and of COURSE I'll be watching the office tonight. (With Pizza, chocolate and a cocktails. It's been a long week from hell for me too!)

Mojito Maven said...

I can completely understand why Christmas would be incredibly difficult for you. I don't even know what the would be like! *HUGS*

Mikki said...

♥♥{{BIG hugs!!}}♥♥

Eat lots of chocolate. Skip the Christmas music, or don't and have a really good cry if you need to.

Good luck with the festivities at your house, but don't stress it. If people don't understand this is a senistive time of year for you, then just tell them to get a clue!!

also known as shell said...

I had no idea about your mom and I'm sorry about that. and the no bambino... and the no beach. and the butt balding dog. you eat as much chocolate as you want. and watch as much office as you can.

GrannySmithGreen said...

I can only imagine how much you miss your mother. I am so sorry that she is not with you here in person.

I know what you mean about "Oh, Holy Night". I either sing at the top of my lungs--in the car or shower only OR cry! It is one of the most beautiful songs. When you really allow yourself to think about the words--oh my!

Wishing you the VERY BEST CHRISTMAS!!! Now get up and go DECK YOUR HALLS!

Jessica said...

I am so sorry about your mom. Try this .... chocolate.....TV.....shopping.......repeat as often as needed....feel free to change the order as needed. hang in there.

Kaci said...

I am so sorry!! XOXOX I'm here for you...want me to send you some chocolate? XXOXOXOXOX

Kaci said...

And dude go to my blog and follow me...come on you know you wanna...=>

ooo and your word verification thing says dales...lol...that's my daddo-s name. LOL!

{amy k.} said...

I can't imagine having to go through that- loosing your mom must've been hard enough, and then around Christmas. Although I didn't know your mom, I've gotten a good glimpse at who you are- which I'm sure is in big part to her- and I'm thinking that after a few days of chocolate and the office, getting up and decorating the tree would be just what she'd want you to do! Have your days, minutes, and be sad... and then falala as much as your little heart will let you!