or the things that I obsess over the things that regularly deplete my checking account.
It's no secret I love running. I absolutely adore it. Which is why when I was sick over the weekend and didn't manage to run (let's not talk about it, k?) I actually spent the rest of the weekend in tears and major depression. I had let myself down. I've run sick before! I've run injured, exhausted, 24 hours out of the hospital--you name it. But, ::knocks on wood:: I've been blessed this training cycle and couldn't risk messing it all up because of my stupidity (which we all know I am 100% capable of). (still pretty damn pissed off at myself though) (although, I ran this morning which was awesome considering I can rarely pull myself out of bed on Monday mornings) (oh, and then I lifted weights at lunch. And spent 30 minutes looking for parking near my office after that outing)
I finally pulled myself together for a quick Valentine's shopping trip and a trip to REI for hiking boots (omg, don't get me started--short story: 2 days after running up hill upon hill in Catalina, I'm taking a group of teenagers on a 3 day hike in the muddy N. Texas woods. Did I mention I have to pull a handcart? And get no soda? yeahhh.... hiking boots= it's really happening).
While at REI, I loaded up on ShotBloks and the like as I gear up for marathons and long runs which led me to this lovely list of things that make my running hall of fame (or, loves).
With Valentine's Day less than a week away, here are some of my running loooooves:
Fuel Belts: Cannot go more than 8 miles without one. I get dehydrated like whoa, so, I needs me some water. If it's anything less than 8, I can make it with the water fountains along my neighborhood or at the lake, anything longer and I freak the heck out.
Cliff Shot Bloks: With caffeine please! These babies pull me through pre-dawn treadmill workouts (I eat one or two before leaving the house--they amp me up enough to where I know I better just go to the gym, otherwise I'll just lay in bed wide awake=fail), races and long runs. Sure, not the tastiest, but, at mile 9 of a run/race, I'm hungry and need somethin' to keep me going. They do the trick.
Powerade Zero: Goes in my fuelbelt for long runs and races and is my beverage of choice Friday-Sunday as I prepare and recover from long runs. (I usually dilute it a bit with water)
Nike shorts/capris/pants: I wear a lot of on-sale or less expensive running gear, but, my Nike bottoms are my hands down favorites and one of the few things I will pay full price for. Not too tight, dry material and they last. Love them (and I just bought a new pair over the weekend since I wear my capris all.the.time and never seem to have a clean pair. Solution? More pairs!)
My Garmin: Yes, I'm a Garmin junky. I get all twitchy and weird without it. For real. I don't have a great ability to pace myself (yet) and having the pace alerts is really helpful. And it's sad that I kind of live for the little jingle of it ticking off another mile. (honestly, sweetest sound in the world on a long run)
Body Glide: I'm the queen of weird chaffing (my lower back?!) and do not go out without this stuff. There's nothing worse than being mid way into a good run only to be hit with some nice chaffing. It kind of ruins it all from that point (at least for me). I forgot it a few weeks ago and was hurting major by the time I got home.
Tech/Dri tees: Best.invention.ever. I'm not brand picky on these, they rock no matter what. How I ever ran in cotton will forever be a mystery (of course this was back when I wasn't running all that long, but, still!)
Compression socks: I fully attribute my success in this training cycle to these bad boys. I bought them 3 weeks before my first marathon and pretty much wear then after anything 6 miles or more. I'm injury prone and battled a nasty calf injury for months and these have really made a huge difference in recovery and overall soreness. I fully recommend these to anyone.
SweatyBands headbands: Obviously, these are lady specific, and they are my favorite. They aren't too tight (I find the Goody ones to be too tight) and they have fun patterns and prints and have a soft underpart that keeps them locked on your noggin. I wore one in my Nov. 1 half marathon, my first marathon and on 90% of my training runs. My current favorite print is my green one with blue turtles--turtles are my running symbol, if you will.
Well, lovelies, there you have it, my running loves. (there are many, many more as my closet and gym bag would tell you, but, that's a nice lil summary, yes?)
Now, I'm dying to hear, what are some of yours??
Monday, February 8, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


13 comments:
oooh, love this list! i def have to agree with you about the nike capri running pants. nothing short of a.mazing! here are some of my other must-haves:
-thorlo running socks. nike and underarmour have some good ones, too.
-all my running gear is nike. i think i have a few underarmour pieces, but for the most part it's all nike. nike.com has made a killing off of me.
-my new lunar glides! they're amazing shoes! LOVE them!
-i've heard you "shouldn't" run with music, but i can't go anywhere without my ipod.
Great list! I love the shot bloks too! I also love my wrist rockers and never leave home without them!
Loved this post! I wish I loved running like you but I hope to become a psuedo-runner someday!
I have to tell Jared about these shot blocks.. he prefers 5 hour energy and those gel things.... xxooo
I have recently totally fallen in love with the Brooks Epiphany running shorts. WAY more comfortable than the Nike Tempos. If I remember correctly, you don't wear shorts? Maybe? Am I making this up? Anyways, they are pricey, but I have found a couple of pairs on sale for like $19!!
Good socks! I love me some Wright Socks. No rubbing, no blisters. Comfy toesies!
Garmin. Duh. I love having my stats right then and there!
I love the accel gels. The key lime pie flavor is soo good. And the chocolate one tastes like chocolate frosting (and has more of that kind of consistency instead of the slimy Gu stuff, ugh).
love your list, I know I keep saying it but I will come back to this when I start up again, I can't run in almost 3 feet of snow!! ;-) and I do love Nike, don't know why but it's my fave, (so far) that swoosh has character =)
I need to try those headbands. I can never find some that stay on my head!
I love so many of the same things!
-Nike capris. Although the JC Penny Xersion ones are awesome, and feel and look very similar. I own way too many pairs!
-ShotBlocks. They don't hurt my tummy but give me just the right amount of fuel.
-Glide. I always get blisters, even on short runs. Glide is awesome because it keeps my feet comfortable.
I need to try those headbands! Where can you find them?
thanks for the tips. don't be hard on yourself for missing a run - you are totally awesome!!
That's an awesome list... I'm thinking about investing in a Garmin of my own. What model do you have? My roomie has the 200-something, and isn't totally in love with it. Any suggestions??
Awesome list where do you find the headbands? Do you have a website?
thorlo running socks. nike and underarmour have some good ones, too.
Make website india
Post a Comment