Y'all know that one of my favorite things about summer in the South is the fireflies. I love them. They make me so happy. They remind me of being a kid and having hot summers in Iowa with my grandparents.
Anyways.
As some of y'all may know, I recently started my training for El Scorcho which is an all night 50k (no need to remind me that I'm insane, I'm fully aware, thanks). So, a group of us got together and decided that doing our long runs at night would be beneficial to get us used to running when we should be sleeping. According to El Scorcho veterans, that's the hardest part. Yikes.
I had a really hard week last week, like as in--well, it was bad. I was tired to my bones and wasn't looking forward to running--I wanted to get home from work and get in bed. But, that wasn't in the cards.
We met up at 9PM for a Lake Loop. It was hot. And humid. And then humid again. But? It.was.awesome. The fireflies were out, and it was just us and them (and of course the kids you know, using the lake for you know, the pot and the drinking and the other things we will not mention on the blog!).
We talked about everything. We laughed. We were soaking wet when we finished. We were fairly certain we looked like some kind of group of homeless vagabonds. We went back to our meet up point and ate watermelon and strawberries.
And then we all said our goodbyes until next week.
I drove home in a punch drunk stupor. I've been struggling with my running lately, but, that was such a unique experience and so out of the ordinary, it really renewed me. Renewed my love for running. Made me grateful for my house only a few miles from the lake. Made me grateful for my legs that can run. Made me grateful to stay up past my bedtime with some great friends.
And then after a quick shower, I climbed in bed with my silly Ella Mae beagle and went to sleep.
And got to sleep in not having to wake up at 5AM for my weekly long run.
I could get used to this running at night thing.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


15 comments:
When I read the title of your post I thought, "wow, that should be the title of a book". Seriously.
Doing something different from the ordinary is fun and interesting. That sounds like a perfect evening for the little red runner :) Good luck with El Scorcho!
Sounds heavenly! I grew up on a lake and I still miss it to this day.
That sounds like so much fun! El Scorcho will be awesome! I can't wait to read about it. Good luck!
This post made me so happy :) I wish CO had fireflies.. I seriously miss them. And the El Scorcho? The more I hear about it, the more jealous I am for not doing something that awesome!
Fireflies... one thing I can't wait to see again when I finally get my @ss out there and run. Stupid Lankle. Anyway, so glad you had such a great run! Can't wait to read more about these late night training runs!!!
I'm a morning girl, but I can see the attraction. But unless I'm getting paid to do it, I'm not sure I have the motivation to push myself for the evening workout! You go, girl!
Hey, I'm a little late, but I read in a previous post you were looking for a Moonstone ring? Try going here> http://www.semiprecious.com/moonstone_rings.cfm
Running with fireflies is way cooler then running in the rain...which I did on Saturday. =)
Aw, you almost make it sound like fun! ;o)
And you're not insane you are adventurous!!! I "skipped" my long run this weekend in favor of sleeping in until, gasp, 5:30 am, to bike. Funny bunch, endurance athletes.
El Scorcho sounds like an amazing expereience. I hope you continue to really enjoy your training!
El Scorcho sounds way tooo hot little lady, haha... miss u! xxxoo
Wow sounds crazy but amazing! Glad that you're body adapts well to the crazy running hours!
Sounds like you have your mojo back :)
Love it! How amazing. It's a run like that that will keep you coming back for more again and again!
I think you're nuts for wanting to run an all-night 50K. And when you read this, realize who it's coming from.
That sounds like a perfect evening for the little red runner
Banner Advertising Network India
Post a Comment