Thursday, September 23, 2010

Breaking Up is Hard To Do

(done in the sing songy voice, obviously)

Y’all. Y’all. It had to come eventually.

The end of my longest relationship to date.

Seven years. Almost to the day.

Seven years ago my life was changed.

I went from bus riding, randomly getting hit because people don’t know how to stop at red lights, begging my roommate for a ride—to—woo whoo I have my own car again (I didn't bring a car to college--mistake number uno). Sweet baby Jesus, I am free. Only not really because no one ever went anywhere because if you lost your parking space (which you always did) it would take a good 2 hours to find another one. No joke.

That’s right, my life was forever changed with my sweet girl, Sasha. AKA my 2003 Honda Accord (yes, I name my car. And yes, she's a she).

She and I have been through a lot together. She survived the trip from Utah with my dad (poor girl). She drove me home and back several times. She survived a crash on the country roads where I thought it would be a good idea to try and flip a car (read: I over corrected a turn and lost control. Fun times). Also? You can roll a Honda. It’s just hard to do, but, I am gifted enough to do it. This was the crash in which I lost my mother’s wedding ring (I was wearing it) but the windows automatically rolled down so I could climb out the window. True story.

She’s driven me to almost all my marathons, to the beach and so much more.

I’m going to miss her. I’m going to miss being able to park her in my garage! I’m going to miss her gas mileage.

But, all good things must come to an end and she’ll go onto live a happy life with my cousin in Arizona (be good to her, Serene!).

Now, I just need to name my new car. Which I don’t actually have yet. It’s in Montana. Long story.

I can’t wait to introduce y’all!

6 comments:

Deepali said...

Parting with a car is difficult to do, I've been there. I had Alexis, I named my car in high school, for about 2 years, and the first car I bought on my own was Sandra. My husband and I named our 2000 BMW, Betty. Sometimes Betty annoyed the crap out of us.

Montana is actually a cute name for a car, and relates to said car's current origins.
Happy car naming!

Kaci said...

Sooooobbbbbbbb!!!! =( I was the same way when we got rid of our red Nissian Sentra that brought home Elly. I was ever so sad! CRY!

Welcome new car from Montana.

Heather said...

Can't wait to see the new car. Is it another Accord?

Brittany Ann said...

My first car was named Molly. She was a 1988 Plymouth Sundance. She was classy. And ugly. And I'll always love her.

Anonymous said...

It is always hard to part with a car. So many memories wrapped into a hunk of metal.

Naturally Caffeinated Family said...

oh it is so hard! My first car was an '83 Nissan Sentra hatchback, known as "the tin can" bc that's what it sounded like when you shut the door :) oh the stories on that one. my sister and I kind of shared that one, so my first real car was a '91 Ford Probe, silver, flip up lights, oh yeah, it was hot! So sad to say goodbye to that one! Can't wait to see your new one, that is so exciting!