Thursday, August 26, 2010

Do not adjust your monitor

No need to mess with your computer--you are seeing that correctly. It's a painting of a cat (and bunny, mouse and dogs if you want the whole shebang).


Above the fireplace.

At my parents house.

Here's another look. And no, my parents did not buy the house "as is". They had that done. It's of their animals. Well, it's of their living dogs--and the cat died two years ago. And? They've had the cat repainted four times. Because it doesn't capture his "essence".

Oh, and just so you can see how out of place this really is in my parents home, here's their backyard:


And their pool:

And their 20 feet ceiling with out of this world chandeliers (which I'm laying claim to when they sell the house--or when they have to go into a nursing home--whichever comes first.... I kid, I kid...sorta) (but seriously, to.die.for):

Did you forget what the mural looked like?

Didn't think so.

Oh my gosh! I walked into my parents newly finished gorgeous "California Colonial" (confession: I have no idea what that means, but, I assume it means "semi Tuscan design with a lot of material from Cuba") home and see that. No mirror or framed giant painting above the fireplace.

Nope. A mural of their family pets. Don't get me wrong, my pets are my kids--but, but, but! I'm not having them permanently memorialized over my fireplace in the form of an on the wall mural.

Just sayin'.

17 comments:

Samma said...

Ha! I can't say anything though because there is a giant painting of our (former, sad) dogs hanging above the firplace in my parents' family room. Although it's not permanent. . .

d.a.r. said...

When I got to the part about the cat's "essence", I quite literally spat diet coke on my keyboard. Holy moly....

THE Stephanie said...

Oh my gosh that is HILARIOUS!!!

Naturally Caffeinated Family said...

hehe!! I'm with d.a.r. I chuckled out loud at the repainting for the right essence part ;) beautiful scenery! is that AZ or is it CA??

Classy Fab Sarah said...

First off, wow what a gorgeous home. Seriously, wow.

But that mural is something else! Woooow.

chloƫ. said...

This is hilarious! Gorgeous house, but wow! That mural is priceless!

Sara McCarty said...

OMG. I'm so sorry. What are they thinking?! Why do parents do this to us?

Kate said...

That? Is the awesomest thing I've seen in a while! Perhaps the furry friends can have an online relationship with my Satanic Sun Faces! They can Skype!

Jen Feeny said...

This seriously just made me laugh out loud! I love your parents can they please adopt me?!?!? :)

Lucky in Love said...

Oh my! Ha!

BUT..what a gorgeous house!!

Stephanie said...

Haha - amazing!!

PS - Your parent's casa is GORGE.

Dollface said...

I said it before I am coming!! I want to swim in that pool, im sooo jealous right now :) xxxoo

Brittany Ann said...

Whoa. WHOA.

And seriously, lay claim now to what you want! It seems gorgeous!

A Compassionate Calling said...

Aa! How inspiring. It makes me want to get some kind of art work/mural going in our living room. Gorg-e-ous!

Polka Dots & Protein Bars said...

Hahahahahaha I'm laughing. Like literally laughing out loud, which doesn't happen often when I'm sitting in bed with Sadie snoring and reading blogs. A small chortle or inner giggle, but this is cracking me up. The house is gorgeous, though, and you MUST have those chandeliers. Holy flippin' moly those are beautiful. Okay, sorry, total novel, but this is one of my favorite posts ever. Pretty fitting since you're basically one of my favorite bloggers ever. And done.

Kaci said...

WOW! No picture of you? I'd be hurt, outragged, furious! LOL! =)

shopgirl said...

Your parents must have loved them very much...maybe just a tad more than their children perhaps? Just teasing!

I like your blog and humour! Off to read some more of your posts.

Rambles with Reese