Y'all, the last few nights I have not been able to sleep. I mean, maybe 2-3 hours. Which means that I'm a real peach, which also means I'm downing the Diet Coke like it's my job, which also means that I cannot get out of bed, so, I'm not running. Driving.me.nutso! Nuts, I tell you! 18 miles this weekend? Ha. Funny! Lord help me.
You see, I can't sleep, because my mind is racing. I can't turn it off. When I get on something, I cannot stop until it's complete. Yes, I tend to obsess. Over stupid stuff.
What's keeping me up these days?
My house.
For real.
This is two fold.
1. We moved in two years ago (count them, 1, 2) and I'm still working to get it just right. I blame this on my annoying sofas (they were free and big enough for the room, so we said "yes, please", but, they are mauve. HATE. And haven't found slipcovers that a) fit, or b) I like. And recovering them would cost the same as new furniture--you see the issue). And my ghetto mantle. It's a shelf, with creepy little Danish (?) people on the hooks. Perfect for hanging stockings at Christmas, annoying the other 364 days of the year. We have a gorgeous fireplace, but, the mantle is a total killjoy. So, I've literally spent 2 years trying to make the mantle pretty and make mauve work.
We're close, people, so close! I finally got a pretty set-up on my mantle and it's only missing one thing. That one thing? Is stressing me out. Tall taper candleholders. How stupid is that? That I'm losing sleep over it.
Like I said folks, I obsess over the dumbest things. I don't have children, so, honestly, this is what I obsess over.
2) I'm starting to freak out that we may have to move sometime in the relative near future. With month 20 looming over our heads with the husband unemployed, we're starting to discuss that we may have to move. And none of that "he would have a really long commute" type stuff, we're talking a whole different state (holla, Erin, he applied for a job in Denver!). Which makes me super duper sad because this was our house to raise a family. And damnit, I don't want to move. Which then makes my first point stupid, because, why am I putting all this effort into it if we're just going to leave? And will we ever find a house we love again? Can we afford to move?
Stressed out.
Did I mention that the husband hasn't even had an out of state interview yet? And I'm still freaking out.
As you can see, I'm crazy. Like, losing my mind, out of this world, crazy.
Honestly.
I need a new distraction.
That doesn't involve Pier 1, Target, Pottery Barn or Crate and Barrel. However, if you know where I can get some tall and relatively inexpensive taper holders, I wouldn't turn down the advice.
Just sayin'.
Anyone else have any silly things they obsess and fret over?
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


7 comments:
Yes! Move to Denver!!! I'd introduce you to the wonderful world of trail running and camping in the Rockies. You and the hubby would love it! *fingers crossed* for you guys :) But I toooooootally understand the stress of wanting to set up your home to be "just right", hell, I do that for my tiny apartment, I can't imagine owning a HOUSE. I'll keep my eyes out for those candleholders for ya, girl. Now go take a nap!
Ugh I feel like I am going insane. My poor brain just runs all night, too!
I feel ya! Hopefully things work out just the way they are supposed to.
Oh shug, I completely understand. Having just moved in, I am in the state of extreme can't sleep over furniture arrangements and a massive to do list. I hope the job situation get resolved soon- I'm thinking of you!
I'm moving to Denver with you! We can buy new houses and new furniture together! And our Shelties and babies can grow up best friends. When do we leave?
But really, I'm not sure I'll ever have my house "just right." As soon as I get something finished I'm already thinking of ways to change it. My tastes change so much! I really have to stop looking at home improvement blogs. I hate our mantle too...it's not a mantle, it's a shelf. And our couches suck as well. I'm totally with you on this one!
I obsess about my house all the time. And about moving. And about moving random things. Like I'm all, "How will I ever move those two new porcelain display bowls I just bought? They're so awkward!"
You are talking to the girl who wants to MOVE INTO the Pottery Barn. Seriously, if they would let me live there, I would.
Can't help you with the mauve, but you could replace your mantle with a weekend project. Totally. All you need are some 2x4s to make a simple box construction and some moldings to build up and decorate as you see fit.
You can do this.
Take before and after pics!
Did you ever start sleeping again? What worked? Cause I'm lucky to get 3 hrs straight & it's driving ME nuts. I've always been a good sleeper. Until this Summer. Argh, insomnia!
Post a Comment