* Or why I am the most stubborn person ever and refuse to learn my lesson(s). Because I somehow feel that I am smarter than said lessons and that I will eventually win. But, I never do. Because I'm stupid.
You'd think that in all my years of life and you know, education, I'd get the memo. But, you'd be wrong.
See, as someone who grew up with summer that hovered around 110-120 degrees and who has lived in the land of heat and humidity for 6 years, I tend to think I can handle the heat--especially since I detest being cold and my favorite places on earth happen to be hot, hot, HOT beaches. So, I'm a summer person, right?
Right.
But, I don't learn.
I don't learn that even though I am a summer lover, and that I'd take a dreamy summer day for a blustery winter one in a heartbeat, that, well, the heat, it's hot, and dangerous. And you know what? Running in the heat is really hard. And dangerous.
And? I'm prone to getting heat exhaustion. At least once a summer (this summer, I think we're on 4 times, and dancing with a fifth).
So, it makes total sense that I would get up at 4:15 on a Sunday morning, go out to my car, throw my gear in and turn it on to see 90 degrees on the thermometer. No worry, I think, maybe we'll cut our mileage down because sweet baby Jesus, someone is going to die.
But, we didn't cut our mileage down. Instead, around mile 9, I'd decided I'd had enough of this crap and was refusing to admit that we were only halfway done. Not cool. So, I, along with two others, turned around and ran walked the last 6 miles. If which I have never done before. But sweet heavens, it was too hot to run. Yes, I would have been done faster, but, I also might have been dead in a ditch somewhere. The cold prickleys were there and I was gettin' hot. Bleh.
And? I never cooled off.
So, I was supposed to run 18. And I shuffled stepped 15.25. I don't even care. It's too hot to run.
Lesson? No more fall marathons. After MCM, I'm stickin' to spring 26.2. Running this far in this heat? Not for me, kids, not for me.
Even if I am a summer lover.
Hopefully, I have learned my lesson.
But, it's doubtful.
Monday, August 23, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


8 comments:
you, my dear, are CRAZY. Crazy crazy crazy. If you die from heat exhaustion, I will be PISSED at you.
Stay safe!! xoxo
running in the summer is SO much harder than in the winter! it's insane! i hate the way my lungs feel like they'll explode from heat exhaustion. ugh.
I can totally relate - this running in 100+ temps (with even more outrageous humidity) is for the birds! Bring on the fall!
Damn girlfriend, it's miserable hot here, I can only imagine how hot it must be there. I'd much rather run in snow than in this heat. Maybe trade in your outside runs for the treadmill for the next few weeks. Treadmills suck, but they're better than heat exhaustion! Plus, watching TV while you run isn't all that bad!
I don't know how you even started. That kind of heat depresses me!
Still, glad you're OK! I'm stubborn too, and I often find myself doing The Crazy when I should have learned my lesson the first time!
Pig, Pig, you should run the Pig! Flying Pig in Cincy in May means no long runs in the heat! You'll love training in out Winters. (so mild)
Good for you for walking. It was seriously Luke 108 for reals yesterday. I don't even want to know what the heat index was. This has GOT to stop soon!
we never learn our lessons... but i love the summer too.. thinking I need a trip to visit texas and you!! xxxoo
Okay, so I love you, but you are certifiably nuts.
And ugh, this whole fall race thing is for the birds. I am never going to train in August again. Yuck, yuck, yuck.
Post a Comment