Wednesday, February 9, 2011

Nothing Good Happens After Midnight


Once upon a time, in a land far, far away, there was a little girl who lived on a hill and dreamed of castles and princes and talking mice (like Gus Gus). Sadly, her dreams didn't come true (unless you count touring castles in England with her parents, which, no, does not count), but, eventually she left the hill and moved to a big, big city to another place known as The Hilltop where she would find something even better than castles and princes.*

On The Hilltop, she met her very best friend. They spent several years together in a special kind of family (ahem, sorority) and after leaving The Hilltop (although, neither of them seem to get very far) they're still the Monica to the other's Rachel (we're both really Pheobe, but, let's move past that).
The Very Best Friend has the strangest luck. While we've both determined that We Are Grown Ups, there are still times in which we want to pretend we're still 19. Case in point: Very Best Friend had the opportunity to go to a very swanky party last weekend.

So, like any self respecting awesome person would, she said "Yes please." And then called it good just as the clock struck 12--after all, she'd already danced the night away, been super cool in front of some super dreamy men and had a great time. What more was there? Her friends however, did not call it a night. This resulted in a lost scarf, misplaced cell phones and an incident in a parking lot with a pregnant woman at 2am. Trying to do The Right Thing, Very Best Friend stayed near her friends and thus was involved in the whole scarf/cell phone/parking lot fiascoes. Not ideal.

So, Very Best Friend and I have decided that it's quite ok to be in bed early.

This lesson dear children, proves that nothing good ever happens after midnight.

Just ask Cinderella.
(oh, and also, if the Super Bowl is in town, take full advantage)

*(unless of course I'm offered a castle or a prince, in which case, Very Best Friend, I still love you, but, I'm takin' the castle)

4 comments:

Sara McCarty said...

My mom used to say the same thing: Nothing good ever happens after midnight." Of course I didn't believe her at the time, but now in my old age and wisdom, I whole-heartedly agree. :)

I want a castle too! And a prince. And a fairy godmother.

Jessica said...

I'm a toad if I don't go to bed at ten, I tried to watch Top Chef last night and fell asleep halfway through.

It's totally the cool thing now to go to bed early, like you said, take it from Cinderella. That girl knew what she was doing. ;)

Anonymous said...

My dad used to tell me this ALL the time! LOL I am starting to agree... mainly because I like my sleep. :)

Cinderella can keep her prince. I have mine. Cinderella can keep her castle. I wouldn't want to clean something that big. BUT. I would take her shoes. Just saying.

Katie said...

i'm going to walk around for the rest of the day saying "gusgus," so thanks for that. :)