You may or may not recall that I messed up my knee/leg/hip/something during Marine Corps Marathon. It left me literally hobbling for weeks. Walking was even hard. I'd battled injury before, but, this was seriously the worst--I pushed through IT band pain (like an idiot), but this? I could not even walk through.
Thus, I haven't been able to run and train like I want. It seems that anything over 4 miles and I'm a hobbling mess. I took time off. I cross train. I stretch. I yoga. I do it all. But, the pain is still there. I attempted a 14 miler with my friends on Saturday, bound and determined that I could do it--after all, I've done 14 milers after weeks of 3-4 mile training runs. Surely I could do it again.
I was wrong. Mile 4 and the pain was so excruciating, I thought I might literally lay down and cry.
So, I made it about 7.5 miles. Hobbling the last 3.5 miles.
This whole not being able to run like a crazy person thing has put a major cramp in my style. I can't eat like a runner--obviously, but, my stomach refuses to accept that. Thus, I am all sorts of soft and double chinned. NOT GOOD.
So. My bff and I have decided that this nonsense is over. I got in pretty good shape when I had a trainer last year, but, I don't want to spend the money again--but, I know it's possible for me to get back into shape. And preferably before summer, thankyouverymuch.
Thus, we've formulated a workout plan that relies on good old fashioned ass kicking. Mostly deduced from my days of cheer, rowing, and dancing. Last night involved push ups, sit ups and squats. Nothing fancy, nothing hard, but, an ass kicking nonetheless.
Needless to say, I'm hurtin' today.
The good news? I'm hurtin' today.
Operation Skinny. The final frontier. I refuse to let not running define me. I refuse to be 26 and wear mom jeans.
I will do this.
(this doesn't mean my days of running are over--I fully intend to run Oklahoma City Memorial Marathon and Marine Corps Marathon this year--who I am if I'm not a runner? Wait, don't answer that)
Tuesday, February 15, 2011
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


12 comments:
I love that "I refuse to let not running define me". Empowering. I wish I had written that on my wall/hand/blog every single day last year when I was injured for SIX MONTHS and couldn't run any of it. We love running, it'll always be a huge part of our hearts, but not running should not define our strong characters. I'm pumped for you to get back on the workout horse! Pushups are tough but SO good for you! Get it get it!
Can you send some of your Operation Skinny my way please? LOL Thanks doll.
Right there with you! I workout daily at home with little or no equipment. I'm doing weights at a gym 3 days a week, but it's the stuff I do at home that's really doing it. If you've got shoes and determination you can do it! I'm hoping to be beach ready by summer too. good luck!
"EAT LIKE A RUNNER"
Fill me in? Please? I'm determined to run my first 5k this spring! You are such in inspiration, seriously, what you can do amazes me.
I also just asked my husband if we could go watch the Marine Corps Marathon, just to cheer on the runners. AKA, YOU. :)
Haha, good for you! I just popped over from another blog. I actually do let not running define me. I am not a runner, but I am beginning to think that I should change my attitude!!! I have been meeting people who have overcome a serious weight and physical issues, and all I have to do is not be so lazy!
Good luck!
I love this...Operation Skinny. Brilliant!
you WILL do this! (are you seeing a doctor about your injury?) glad you are hurting so good!
Whoa. I'm wondering what's up with that pain. You're pretty hardcore, and if it took you out like that? Well, that's scary. Any ideas?
You can do it hun!! I'm in the midst of my own "operation skinny" and I think blogging about it really helps. I love all of the blog and twitter support with things like this.
Down with the Mom jeans!! (I wear them and hate them. They must be gone asap!)
Sending you good workout vibes!! xoxo
Oh sweetie. I am so sorry that running is hurting. I'm cheering for you!!!
You can do it! I will never be a runner; I have terrible arthritic knees. I'm always so envious of "runner"t ypes who get to eat what they want. So, needless to say, I need a good ass-kicking as well. Also, preferably before summer.
Hmm, well honestly sweet girl, I'd like it MORE if you'd call it "Operation Be the Healthiest Me I Can Be" or "Operation Take Care of Shabby Princess." You are NOT BIG! But I totes understand the feeling like you aren't in the shape you A. Once were and B. Should be.
You are a very determined woman and I feel confident that you'll whip yourself into marathon shape and optimum fitness in no time at all. But first you gotta get well - take care of that cough!!!
Post a Comment