Friday, May 8, 2009

Golden Girl

Earlier this week, my husband reminded me that this year will be my Golden Birthday.

And I literally burst into tears.

Literally.


All soppy, wet, emotioanl tears.

Over a birthday. Gah, you'd think I was turning 50 or something.

Thing is, I remember--not that long ago--thinking of how awesome my Golden Birthday would be. I'd be a grown up, do grown up things, have grown up friends, a kick ass career, an amazing home, and I'd get to sit there all smug at my birthday and re-hash all the amazingness I had amounted in my years (I am not sublte, am I?).

(this of course was when I was dead set that a year after college, my mama and I would take off and travel the world. Did this happen? Not so much. Have I traveled the world? Not so much. Have I traveled I-10 half way across the country too many times to count? Yup.)

So, as it dawned on me that in a mere 6 months my Golden Birthday will be upon us, I have decided it is high time to start planning, seeing as my last birthday, in which I deemed "Birthday Month" kind of sucked in general, we will make Golden Birthday Month awesome (mark my words. Dallas girls, get ready).

And in the spirit of making things awesome, I have decided something (very insane, by the way).

I will run a full marathon before my birthday (and by "run", I mean pull and drag myself across the finish line).

Now I realize that all the runners out there just gasped and freaked out because there's just no way I can train myself in time, well guess what? I'm going to try.


I've got to have something to gloat about at my birthday, and this my friends, may just be the kick in the pants I need to remind myself to accomplish all those awesome things I thought I would by my birthday (even if it doesn't include children, boo!).


I also blame RunnersWorld for advertising a marathon in one of my favorite cities just days before my birthday. It was a sign I tell you.


So there. I've put it out there.


I've committed to it.

I've got to do it.


(well, it was either this or a local marathon in December, but, my birthday is in November, ya see).


Wish me luck.


4.82 miles down this AM. 500 billion to go.


ETA: Your Golden Birthday is when you turn the age of the date of your birthday. Ex: If you're born on the 21st, then turning 21 would be your Golden Birthday, etc.

13 comments:

Sassy Engineer said...

I'm so excited for my golden birthday! It is still a couple years away, but I want the whole month to be gold and shiny :) Yay for you for putting the goal out there to run a marathon! I am pretty sure I would die, so I totally admire you for doing this. I know you will succeed!

Dollface said...

What is a golden birthday?! Im a little slow, haha... and congrats on it and your marathon efforts! xxoo

Sarah B. said...

Ok..I have no clue of what a Golden Birthday is. It sounds like a big one though. :) And as far as doing a Marathon...you can do it! I say give yourself a goal of finishing and just work and know that once you complete it you can call yourself an Elite Athlete. Where is the one you want to do?

d.a.r. said...

My Golden Birthday was my fourth...I do believe I had a kickass party at McDonalds and got to play in the ball pit :)

I totally think you can do it!! I am so very excited for you, and you have until November, completely doable!

The Blonde Duck said...

I already had my golden birthday then. Barooo.

TexanCouture said...

My golden birthday was at the age of 4, I'm sure if I even remember it :(

And Good luck with training for the marathon!!! Keep us posted!

Blue-Eyed Bride said...

I had my golden birthday when I was 11 and it was a big deal for me because I turned 11 on 11/11 (november 11). I'm looking forward to my 29th birthday-- I'll be 29 on 11/11/11.

Good luck wtih the marathon! You're going to do it! You're determined and you're a rock star!

Lavender Lily said...

oooh, that means my golden birthday will be when I turn 30...so it makes it that much bigger!

good luck on the marathon!

jlc said...

You can do it!!

That's awesome that you signed up!


And what age is the golden birthday? I have to look this up... I think 25 is diamonds. Is that true?

Naturally Caffeinated Family said...

you can do it!!!=) i'm so out of the loop, it appears i have missed my golden birthday by 19 years!

T@iy@ said...

Well, I missed out on my golden birthday, since I was 7. Too bad for me. :) Maybe I can celebrate it when I am 77? We'll see.

Mc Allen said...

now this post was encouraging!! & how exciting that you have all of this to look fwd too, what a great hubbs!! ;) LA

Running 365 said...

You'll completely be ready for a marathon by then. You already have a great endurance base and you only need to train up to 20 miles. I'll be thinking about you!