Tuesday, September 8, 2009

The Divine Ms. M

Today is a hard day.

Today is my mom's birthday.

And I thought I was handling it better than usual.

(I'm not)

The strangest thing, is that time goes on, it often gets harder--not easier, harder. Maybe because as more time passes, the more real it is; or that fact that more things happen in my life that I can't share with her. I don't exactly know.

And because I'm working on living a Joyful Life (even when my eyes are puffy and I freaking want to wail that I miss my Mommy!), today shall be a focus on my fabulous mother, or, the Divine Ms. M as she was known in her circle of uber cool friends.

I'm joyful because...
  • My mother was an amazing cook
  • Her laugh was infectious
  • She wasn't afraid to be bold
  • She taught me that accessories make the outfit
  • That red nail polish and red lipstick will never go out of style (and in her honor, my toesies are painted red--first time in months that they haven't been naked!)
  • She knew that family was the most important thing
  • Her talent for photography was amazing and I am lucky enough to have a majority of her prints in my home
  • She never met a stranger
  • She taught me that you can and will shove your foot into a too small shoe if necessary (which she did repeatedly with my shoes--she big ol clodhoppers ruined many a shoe of mine)
  • Her caring nature was unsurpassed
  • Best.spritz.cookies.ever (my dad still has one single cookie in the freezer from the batch she and I made the day before she died)
  • I inherited her toes (weird, I know)
  • She could kill a container of Chinese takeout and mint chocolate chip ice cream with me any day of the week
  • Best.Hot.Chocolate.Maker.Ever
  • She always bought me a new mug for holidays--a big fancy soup mug--which often got used for hot chocolate or ice cream
  • Her talent for writing was something she passed to me
  • She taught me that the best cure for anything was a musical (sidenote: The Sound of Music was on ABC Family all weekend!)
  • Playing dress up was always encouraged
  • She taught me to appreciate different foods at an early age (um, how many kids do you know who eat shrimp? My babysitters always thought my mom was joking when she left them with a note regarding shrimp, beets and a dinner salad for me...complete with gummi worms, obvs)
  • Her love of travel

She was an amazing woman. At the end of the day, I miss her terribly. There aren't words to describe how much I miss her, and nothing will ever replace her.

I was leaving the store yesterday and saw a mom and daughter walking out together--the daughter was probably mid 30s and it was just so sweet. You could tell they were mother and daughter. I got a little teary because I'll never have that--sure, I have fabulous in laws and a great step mom, but, it's just a connection that can't be replaced.

As much as I miss her, I know how lucky I was. Many people aren't blessed to have fabulous parents, some don't even know their mothers. The 19 short but wonderful years I had with her was better than many people will have over a lifetime--f0r that, I am joyful.

Thanks for indulging me in a walk down memory lane....

18 comments:

Sarah said...

thinking of you today! xoxo

Charis said...

So sorry it's a rough day for you honey! Keeping you in my thoughts and prayers!

Sarah said...

I can't imagine life without my mom...thank you for sharing, I think the next time we go home to visit I'm going to try and spend more time with her just because of this post. You are amazingly strong. I bet your mom is so proud of you and seeing the woman you've become. Remember that even if people aren't there in the flesh, they are there in spirit!

Heather said...

I am really sorry for your loss. My mom passed away from leukemia when I was 17. So much of what you said sounds familiar to me. Was your mom sick?

Jessica said...

thinking of you. thanks for sharing memories of your mom! - i love them.

Brittney said...

Your mother sounds like a wonderful person. Thanks for sharing her special qualities-we're all thinking about you today!

THE Stephanie said...

You new joyful attitude seems to have some at a great time... and I'm sure your mother would be so proud. She sounds like a wonderful person.

Thinking of you and your family...

photography by suzanne said...

What wonderful memories to share today on your mom's birthday. We were all blessed to have her in our lives.
Because you have so many of her gifts, she continues to live through you and your accomplishments.
I love you and think Marilyn raised a very special litte girl.

Lis said...

I'm so sorry hun. I'm thinking of you and your family and praying for you today. Sending HUGS your way. xoxoxoxo

Dollface said...

oo dolly.. this made me weepy at work. I am so sorry for your loss. Its nice to remember those things and thank you for that. I just know that you will be amazing mother when that time comes... and big hugs to you always... xxxo s*

Lucky in Love said...

I am definitely thinking of you so much today. I cannot imagine what you go through on a daily basis...but today must be really difficult. Your mother sounds absolutely wonderful and I am so thankful that you got to spend the time with her that you did.

Here if you need anything!

Melissa @ I Pick Pretty said...

Ah, sending you good thoughts today. Your mom sounds like an incredible woman. Like others have commented, I'm sure she would have been proud of your "ode to joy".

Not that it is the same, but I lost my grandfather (who was my dad in all of the important ways) 12 years ago, and the pain comes and goes over time.

JennyLee said...

I agree that sometimes it gets harder before it gets easier. I definitely miss my Mom now more than a few years ago. Sending lots of prayers your way...

d.a.r. said...

Your mama sounds like an amazing woman. Thanks for sharing her with us!

GrannySmithGreen said...

Thinking of you, friend!

Cake for Breakfast said...

It does seem to get harder doesn't it. My dad died when I was 22 and he comes to mind every day in one way or another. I'm thinking of you - take care.

TUWABVB said...

Oh sweetheart - I'm so sorry I missed this post. I got nailed with a horrific stomach bug and was in bed since Monday. But I'm so glad I had a chance to read this, and a chance to know how special your mom was. I know that ache (as you well know)and nothing can EVER replace them - but the best we can do is live by their lessons and remember them with a smile. Sending you hugs!

Classy Fab Sarah said...

I just found your blog and I'm so glad I did.

My mom died when I was a junior in college so I definitely understand where you are coming from.
I know that nobody can really understand understand... but I've definitely been there.
Praying for you...