Tuesday, September 29, 2009

Why I don't like bikes

(let me start of by saying, this has nothing to do with those who do enjoy bikes--my husband is one of them--as is one of my dear friends husband--um, yes, talking about you Glamorous Newlywed--they're both just crazy like that--each to their own)

1. As transportation: Really? Really? If I need to get somewhere, obviously, I'm going to take a limo, coach or pony of course--I'm not riding a bike anywhere. Hell, I'd even walk.

2. As exercise: I don't do those padded butt bike shorts--this princess does not need anymore junk in her trunk--trust this (example: ordered a new skirt last night, yeah, didn't fit over the ol' bum--too bad I took the tags off it before trying it on!). I prefer running. Or yoga. Or body sculpt. I mean, have you ever seen cute bike wear? Yeah, notsomuch.

3. I can't bike: No, for real, I can't. We bought me a bike several years ago and the whole expression "it's just like riding a bike"--so untnrue! I fell over seriously 15 times just "trying it out" around my block. It's a wonder I was able to finish a triathlon. I haven't touched it since. For real. As in, the exact same water bottle I used for my triathlon is still on the bike. I tried to throw away my helmet, but, the husband said that would be like tossing $100. I haven't touched it in 4 years. For real!

4. It's dangerous: Case in point: my work mom's daughter took a spill over her handlebars last week and broke her face. Literally. Half her face looks like ground meat, and her nose currently resembles Owen Wilson's. She's met with several plastic surgeons and is having corrective surgery this week. She's none to thrilled, but, in my humble opinion, it's an excuse for a nose job! (hey, that gives me an idea....) Although, she's one of those internal beauty types who thinks everyone will judge her because she had a "nose job"--but really, it's corrective surgery--girlfriend needs her nose fixed.

So dear reader, it is terrible that I have a husband who loves cycling and I have a perfectly good bike in my garage, but, I refuse to use it?

Maybe one day I'll overcome my fear. Who knows, for some (stupid) reason I decided to become a "runner". Maybe one day I'll get back on the bike. But, until then, when the husband is out pedaling away, I will most often be found parked in front of the TV watching The Office, or trolling Anthropologie for my latest "must haves".

What about you my lovelies, any fitness activities you're scared to try?

(also, rockclimbing. I don't do heights)

13 comments:

{Steve and Amanda} said...

Oh my gosh. I can't even remember the last time I rode a bike...7 years ago maybe?

I don't think this is fitness per se but surfing would be one. 1)sharks 2)being caught by a current 3)getting hit by my board. Also, I just have a fear of being in an ocean. I don't know why. Obviously, I've never surfed before (and never will) But even if I wanted to, I know I am too clumsy to do so.

Martinis or Diaper Genies? said...

So I do spinning like religiously, but only because it's a calorie burner and it's in the dark so no one can see my ass. BUT I think it makes my thighs bigger. Thoughts?

PS check out the blog design! I'm so sparkly excited about it www.martinisordiapergenies.com

Sara McCarty said...

Shut up...I HATE BIKES TOO!! I thought I was the only one. I absolutely despise them. They freak me out! Dangerous! I know I used to ride my pink Huffy (with the tassels on the handlebars) around the neighborhood, but you couldn't pay me enough to get on one now. This post just made my day - I'm forwarding it to my husband to let him know I'm not quite the freak he thinks I am (or at least I'm not the only one). :)

Lucky in Love said...

Did not know you did a triathlon! So cool :)

And I'm not really into bike myself. My butt hurts after about two seconds and I always have a weird feeling when I get off them at the gym...like my legs are still moving in a riding motion or something?? Anyway...it's weird.

Glamorous Newlywed said...

Once upon a time, Glamorous Newlywed bought a super-nice bike. She rode it for exactly 8 minutes before breaking down in tears because she is physically unable to master turning right or left... or stopping. So, Glam Newlywed sold the evil contraption (oops, sorry, the bike) on Craigslist, made $300, and promptly went to Anthropologie. :)The end.

And this is why we are friends...

Glamorous Newlywed said...

P.S. - Just noticed on your race calendar that you have a race on Saturday - does 'The Lake Loop' refer to White Rock? Cause you know I'll come out (with Winston) and cheer you on if it is!

Polka Dots & Protein Bars said...

Hahahahaha this post cracked me up. I think we could be best friends.

BonBon Rose Girls Kristin said...

I'm not a huge fan of them either. I think they're adorable, but I am bike challenged. I've fallen off more than once...hence my nickname Grace. Ah ha

Becky said...

Ooh, I was scared of rockclimbing until I actually tried, and then found it exhilirating!!! Yes, the heights are not fun, but being attached to the ceiling or wall by a bungee cord IS fun, and wow-wee, the ride down is GREAT! You should try, dear friend, you should try.

Charis said...

Hey woman! Thanks for the well wishes! Argh I wish I'd remembered you were in Dallas before, I would've LOVED to have stopped in for coffee! I'm already past there though, I'm actually just online checking my email, mostly done with Texas. So sad! But THANKS!

jlc said...

Hahaha!! I SOOOOO JUST learned how to ride a bike this past summer!! Bumbee taught me!!


I miss you and am so sorry for being a bad bloggie friend.

Work, school, running and life has bogged me down for comments...

prashant said...

Once upon a time, Glamorous Newlywed bought a super-nice bike.
Web hosting india

Natalie said...

Oh my goodness! My husband's form of exercise is the bike as well. Mine, like you, is running. I chalk it up to different strokes for different folks!

I am scared of the bike and have gone on leisurely bike rides with him and HAVE FALLEN OFF! Not so much fun and surely not relaxing.

Needless to say, no more. He even went so far as to buy me a basket. Not enough incentive.

I will stick to having my feet on the ground.