Monday, September 14, 2009

Musings & Monday

Holy Monday!

How is it Monday again? Despite doing absolutely nothing (that is of course, if you count watching season five of The Office as 'nothing'--which I don't, by the way--huge success in my book), the weekend flew by. Gr.

1. Went to bed early Friday night with notions of an early early rise to get in my extra miles before meeting up with my training group. Funny. At 2:45 I woke up to move the dog off my feet and changed my alarm clock settings. We do not enjoy getting up at 4:40 on Saturdays. I did enough of that in college (stupid being an athlete) and I'm done.
2. Plus, it was raining.
3. I don't like to run in the rain (said in the voice of Phoebe Buffay a la 'I don't like to fly in the rain').
4. But guess what? When you're part of a damn marathon training group of 20+ people, you don't really get a vote. So, a rainy run it was.
5. And actually, not that bad. I didn't hate it as much as I thought I would. I think I "hated" it because I've seriously lost my speed thanks to my illness and my several week running hiatus, so it was like pulling teeth to stay at the middle front of the pack (where I like to be). (don't get me wrong, this won't be a regular occurance if I can avoid it. I need a treadmill)
6. I did manage to almost hit my miles for the weekend, but, by 13.7 I was sick of being wet, it was raining harder and my damn iPod was only playing music into one earbud. So, I stopped .3 miles short of my goal. WHATEVER. I don't care. I'm over being obsessed with that stuff. I finished strong and that is all that matters (oh, and pain free, of course!).
7. Took the hottest shower possible (I was freezing) and went to Target with the husband where we purchased my new love, the Bissel Pet Hair Remover Vacuum. It's changed my life. It took me 5 minutes to vacuum our huge living room rug last night--previously, that task took 20 minutes--not joking! Love it. Love. it. LOVE. it!
8. Spent Sunday sick (of course I did).
9. Am still sick today--which meant, yep, I slept it and didn't run this morning (even though my legs want to move!), nor did I run at lunch because I have class tonight and never feel quite fully put back together after a lunchtime run--and because honestly, I just wasn't feelin' it. I'm not thrilled about having to get up early to run tomorrow (plus I won't be home until after 11PM--awesome), but, that's OK--I can hammer out 3 days of running in a row. I think.
10. Yes, did I mention I have class tonight? From 6-10PM? For the next 21 weeks of my life.
11. I'm taking a graduate marketing course. That lasts until 10PM. Yikes. (because I want to pretend I'm smart)
12. This also brings up the lovely discussion of when to take my sleep inducing pills (and yes, I am--and have been, only taking half a dose--what a full dose must do is beyond me!). I've got to get up early tomorrow, but, have to stay awake during class. This is just annoying!
13. This will be a weird schedule for me for the next 21 weeks of my life, but, it will be worth it in the end!
14. My leggies feel great today and I felt pretty good on my run on Saturday--this week will be the true telling point of if I can do the half marathon I signed up for in October and also be a gauge for my training. In June, when I did my first (and only) 16 miler, it was the following week that I was full on hit with an injury stick. I'm hoping that by controlling my speed (i.e., running a long, slow distance like I'm supposed to) and not worrying about my overall time, that I'll be able to be injury free. I think 16 is the mile that is the often hardest for people to cross. I know I can do it, I've done it before, I'm just petrified of going through all this injury stuff again. That's my gameplan. Wish me luck.
15. Cause really, I want to run that half marathon. Half marathon finishes mean shiny medals, and big pizza dinners. This is really all I want in life.
16. And maybe a good nights sleep--because my meds? Yeah, cause me to have some funky dreams.
17. I want to buy Ella Mae a hot dog costume for Halloween. Since she is the hot dog eater in the family. Or a monkey, but, I haven't seen a monkey costume for a dog. Anyone?
18. We've begun putting the dogs toys on the dining tables when they aren't playing with them (otherwise, Ella will shred them just because they exist) and last night we caught her up on the table (again!) throwing toys down to her brother. These damn dogs just continue to outsmart me!
18. But they are super fun.

Alright, I'm off! Off to panic about class tonight, off to search from some additional Diet Coke (yes, I've already gone through my rations!) and possibly a bag of gummi bears because hell, when I'm sick, it's physically impossible to lose weight, I might as well enjoy being a pudge.

Happy Monday!

8 comments:

Melissa @ I Pick Pretty said...

I'm in awe that you would go for a run in the rain at all, half-marathon or no.

Good luck with class tonight!

Glamorous Newlywed said...

Feel better! Good luck with your class, it sounds wayyy exciting!

Dollface said...

yay for u winning!!! please email me with your address and your favorite halloween candy so i can send :) xxxoxoxoo s*

~Mrs. Guru~ said...

Hope you feel better. Hey at least you got up. My alarm went off at 4 this am and I sat there and starred at until 5 not getting my workout in until this afternoon. I was so mad at myself.

TUWABVB said...

I'm in awe of your running as well, but since I always tell you that - I'm going to change it up a bit. I'm in awe at your dogs! Sending one up to the table to toss down toys to the other? Sheer brilliance. I would be careful - clearly they are evolving! :)

Kaci said...

I love running in the rain...yes I'm weird, it's like I'm all hot and steamy and the rain cools me off and then it makes me feel like I'm sweating more and a dripping mess. LOL! :) Enjoy the gummies!

Martinis or Diaper Genies? said...

Like others, I am in awe that you run in the rain. I need a perfect 68 degrees, with fan, with tv, with closed captioning so I can also listen to my ipod and I still complain.

Lucky in Love said...

I totally said, "I don't like to fly in the rain!" this weekend when we were outside...and of course...my husband didn't get it at all.