Monday, December 28, 2009

I have a case of the Monday's

So, please, hang with me.

I survived Christmas and the husband and Rach somehow made it safely back to Dallas with the moving van of death (more on that later)--snowstorm and closed gas stations notwithstanding. Anyone want to take a stab at how much it costs to fill up a 50 gallon diesel tank on I-40? Yeah, me either.

We had a nice holiday. Got to spend time with our nephew (who told me I'm his favorite aunt--I firmly believe that this is because I control the airplane--my dad took him to the airport= I control the airplanes... I don't know, he's 3).

I'm glad to be home. Although, it's entirely possible that I will have to move back to California and beat the boys off my niece. I haven't seen her in two years and holy hell, my sister and I are both pissed at her because we never looked that good as a teenager--or now for that matter. Brat. She's gorgeous and I want to throw things at her. But, mostly protect her from boys.

I ran up a mountain with my dad. And when I say "ran" I mean I ran for 1 minute and then keeled over on the trail for 5 minutes repeating this cycle for 45 minutes until I had given up and turned around. Also, running down a mountain? Not smart. Not smart at all.

I forgot how hilly my hometown is. My 10 miler turned into a 7.3 miler because my IT band was about to explode. And, also, running longer distances in a small town is really hard--you have to loop the damn town--it was weird. And I got really bored running the same loop.

My hometown has a lot of mid 20 aged drifters. Again, weird. I saw more "kids" and by "kids" I mean 18-30 years old bumming around than I've ever seen in my life. Beach town, yes.

I managed to clean out my mom's storage unit. And now I'm having a full on panic attack about it and having a major case of regrets. Seriously was up all night panicking (which explains why I didn't run this morning--I don't function well on 3 hours of sleep...and it was 21 degrees out). This is a problem.

I did find my grandpa's WWII harmonica that he may or may not have taken from a Japanese soldier. We don't really know if that's true or not, but, in any event, I got it after he died and hadn't seen it in years. So glad to have that back with me.

Let's not forget that the one damn thing I really want are those damn onesies. Did I find them? No. Did I cry my eyes out about it last night and pray upon prayer that I'll find them when I sort through the boxes this weekend? Yes. Am I freaking out that I might have accidentally chucked them? Yes.

My pups are exhausted from a week at doggie day care and it's kind of nice to have them mellow. I'm exhausted from a week of holiday festivities.

When I flew home yesterday, the servicemen and women got upgraded to first class for free. I thought that was really nice. My dad flies first class a lot and he always gives his seat to someone in uniform if they're on the flight (and coming to and from Dallas, that's pretty common). I thought it was really nice that they got to get upgraded. I don't know if this is standard, but, it really should be.

Yesterday, my grandma fell and broke her hip. She broke her hip in May of this year as well. This is not the best.

My aunt got a speeding ticket driving in from Arizona. This is funny for several reasons: she was in a rental car and so my cousins couldn't help with the driving and because she is stubborn and wanted to make a specific time, she didn't want to stop, etc. On the last trip out, she whacked her side mirrors (yes, plural) off. I love my aunt, so, this isn't me being mean, this is just funny because it would happen to her (0r me).

My nephew (and by "nephew" I mean my mother in law) gave me a box of See's Candy for Christmas. Best.Gift.Ever.

I apparently am spawned from a group of vegetarians because guess who didn't get to go to In-N-Out Burger (again)? The anger I tell you, the anger. And for cryin' out loud, you can get a grilled cheese.

It's OK. I'll survive. Only a few months until Catalina. And if we don't go to one on that trip, I swear it's not going to be pretty.

My brother in law needs to hurry up and propose to his girlfriend so we can all go to the wedding in Hawaii. Yes, she's Hawaiian. And pretty awesome to boot. Is it bad that I saw a swim suit the other day that I really want to buy for this 500 years in the future wedding in Hawaii? Because if I'm going to Hawaii, I need a cute swimsuit.

Sad question, why on earth were there swimsuits at the store? It's supposed to snow here tomorrow. And I can't even try it on because I'm about 500 lbs beyond the point of even thinking about trying one on. Ugh.

But it was really cute. And not skanky. I can't stand skanky swimsuits. Plus, I don't want to traumatize other beachgoers.

We have no plans for New Years. Because we're boring old married people. Last year, we went on a weekend getaway to Austin, but, this year, because diesel is like $500/gallon, we have no $$$ and will probably do exactly nothing. Not that I'm really upset about that or anything, but, even after a week "away" it would be really nice just to go somewhere with my husband. Considering this whole jobless thing has him in a grrrreat mood, I think a little mini vacation would be perfection.

I got a bunch of books on writing for Christmas. Which is good because 500 years ago I started a book. And then I got a real job and a mortgage and decided I didn't have time to finish it. Even though my biggest dream in life is to be a published author. Seriously, bigger than my dream of being BFF with Baby Spice and trust me, that was a big dream.

I have new dreams now. Like publishing a book, being a mommy (specifically having a little girl to torment my nephew), running lots of marathons (maybe even BQ-ing one day in the far distant future) and having a nice little vacation home in the mountains to spend the holidays at.

We found a little lot in SE Oklahoma for not that much $$, but, the problem is, we'd have to build a little house and um, that costs lots of $$$$. Why doesn't Sears still sell houses in a box?

Pretty ambitious for a one income household, huh?

Anyways, I have the Mondays. I want to be at home in my home with my puppies. But, I get to spend the afternoon taking photos with my BFF.

Not a bad way to end the Monday.

Hope y'all had a great holiday and have recovered from the egg nog!

xoxox

7 comments:

meredith said...

i go back to work next monday, and i'm going to have a SERIOUS case of the monday's. glad you had a merry christmas!!

Lindsey said...

Aw friend, hugs! I will def have a case of the Mondays next week!

Sarah said...

I am sooo having a bad case of the Mondays too. About 15 min before I was supposed to leave the house I just broke down crying (crazy hormones) and changed into comfy pants and a sweatshirt hoping that would make work a little easier. And this weekend we were looking at our calender and my husband saw in March "Catalina Marathon" and was like "what, we aren't doing this one?" And I had to explain that we were going to go and cheer you on and he was like "cheer someone on we don't know?" He just doesn't get the blogging world...lol. But if I let him read this post he would love you...In-N-Out is his favorite.
And stop it with the bathing suit thing...you are gorgeous, I want your hair!

Jen Feeny said...

LMAO! I'm sorry, I'm not laughing at you, I'm laughing with you! This post is clearly written by your hormones! Awww girl it's ok and it will get better and Grandma will be ok and your brother will finally propose and you can wear that non-skanky bikini and all will be right with the world soon! :)

Becky said...

I have the Mondays, too. If being so sick I want to die qualifies. By the way, if you want baby mojo for getting that daughter, apparently I'm the girl to spend time with. Sheesh.

d.a.r. said...

I had a horrrriible case of the Mondays, I feel so sick and helllooo PMS rearing its ugly ol' head. I want cookies. And my bed.

Hang in there!!

Lucky in Love said...

Oh I hope so much you find those onesies you have talked about. I know how much that would mean to you!! Sending lots of prayers your way. And for your dear grandma!!