Monday, March 8, 2010

Marathon Monday (again) (and, what have I gotten myself into?)

Wasn't it just yesterday that I was gearing up to run a marathon on Saturday? No? Two weeks ago? Yikes.

Well, like it or not, the time has come. The time that I've literally been thinking about last summer. The Catalina Marathon. For me, this might as well be Boston. This is it (sure, I've got OKC in less than 7 weeks, but, whatever, if I finish that, I'll be happy) (and I will finish. And I will PR. Even though I have noooo idea where I'm going to get my 20 miler in for that--yeah, I'll be out of town that weekend) (crap, I might really bomb OKC. That would suck).

The granddaddy of my marathon life thus far. And probably this year. It's going to be hard, it's going to be long, it's going to take every last ounce of energy I have to finish--but, it's going to rock. (see how I do that? Positive thinking, kids, positive thinking)

Sure, there's a ton of stuff to get done before now and when we leave, sure, we'll get back on Sunday night only to leave at 6AM Monday morning for 3 days of hiking and whatnot with a group of teenagers in the soggy Texas hills (did I mention it's supposed to rain for the next few days? Awesome). Sure, I'll get home Wednesday from hiking, caked in mud, sore, hungry and exhausted, only to pack my bags and head out of town on again Thursday night. Yeah, sure.

But, this Saturday, I get to run The Catalina Marathon! Are you kidding me? That's so exciting and crazy I can't even believe it. I am scared to death, have no idea what I've gotten myself into, but, by Saturday evening, I'll get to look back on it and say I did it. Hellloooo awesome.

My long run on Saturday didn't go as planned--I guess The Cowtown finally caught up with me and I struggled big time. But, I planned a hilly route knowing I'd need the hills for this weekend. I didn't get near the mileage I wanted, but, oh well. It's not about last Saturday, it's about this Saturday. I'm a little sore and worse for wear, but, I'm not running Catalina for time, so, if I walk like 75% of it, I don't care! (Lord help me that I don't walk 75% of it!)

Best part? I get to see my dad, step mom and half sis, possibly my in laws and I finally get to meet Sam of Operation Jack! The whole reason I've become a crazy runner in the first place.

No matter what, this weekend will be great.

Even if I do have to be heavily medicated on Sunday.

12 comments:

Dollface said...

ok wow... you are like a running machine and I am super proud to be your bloggy friend :) xxxoo

d.a.r. said...

Don't worry about the mileage! You just did a marathon and were plenty prepared for that. You have all of that training in the bank, and it hasn't disappeared over night! Just pamper those leggies and you'll be fine!!

Lindsey said...

You seriously are a machine! I think you are addicted, lol. Good for you!

Sam Felsenfeld said...

Yikes, I've been contributing to the delinquency of a minor!

Can't believe you're going two weeks between marathons. Slacker.

kay said...

You are such an inspiration!!

Melissa @ I Pick Pretty said...

Go you! Hope you start feeling recovered soon. And hooray for Catalina - any excuse to go there is good in my book, even if it involves running. ;-)

Sara McCarty said...

Oh oh oh, I'm so excited for you! This is going to be an amazing race for you! Don't worry about last weekend - you shouldn't have even been doing a long run you crazy girl. Just rest for a few days and you'll be good as new and raring to go. Yes, you will finish. And yes, you will PR. And you will LOVE every single second of it, OK?! Ok. That's an order! And sign me up for race day alerts again, because that was awesome!

Jen Feeny said...

OMG OMG OMG OMG I am freaking out for you!!! :)

You are going to do great and Sam is going to help you dig deep, both times I saw him on the course at Gasparilla it really put things in to perspective on what I was doing and why! Go run your heart out girl!!!

Brittany Ann said...

I'm cheering you on, my friend!

That Pink Girl said...

You are so ready for this! And you are running fir someone else, which means you are running with your heart. Your heart will carry your legs to a PR!!! Go get 'em in Catalina!!!

Lucky in Love said...

Wishing you lots of luck my friend!! You're going to be fabulous!

Naturally Caffeinated Family said...

You are going to do GREAT!! I'm cheering you on (from my couch, I mean from my state :))! You are going to rock it like you always do! (what does PR mean again?)