So today as I merrily went about my errand running ways I was pleasantly greeted with the overwhelming intense smell of wisteria. It took me a few minutes to realize it, but, not more than 100 yards from where I was standing is a huge area of wild wisteria. I had totally forgotten about it since it lays "dead" most of the year. Wisteria is one of my favorite things. My mom always planted it our backyard, no matter what. The smell instantly made me happy (albeit a touch heartsick over my mama). I could live in a village of wisteria, I think.
While I was aimlessly comparing nutritional stats of various brands of chips (seriously) I spotted a giant tub of M&M trail mix. The kind my dad and I would stock pile for those long road trips to and from my college. I grabbed a mini bag of the trail mix and have been munching on it all afternoon. It makes me happy. Also, we'd stock pile animal cookies, but, I didn't see those at the store.
On my way out, I stopped by the Easter section for ideas as I've got to hurry up and get those Easter baskets together, I noticed that they now have Reese's Pieces "eggs" (maybe this is old news, but, it's exciting to me). I'm not a huge Reese's Pieces fan, but, I will always remember my mom bringing home a half full bag for me whenever she and my dad would go out to the movies. I don't have many memories of my parents together as a child, so, I hold those very dear to my heart. And for nostalgia's sake, picked up a small box of Reese's Pieces. (haven't eaten those yet--but I will. And soon. It takes work to stay chubby, kids!)
It's funny the things we remember, the things that end up mattering the most. Wisteria, trail mix, and Reese's Pieces? Who knew. (although I do realize that they all involve taste/smell which is strongest linked to memory, blah, blah)
I hope my mom would be happy that I still smile at wisteria and that because of her sweet gesture to save candy for me, I'll always associate Reese's Pieces with family happiness.
I hope my dad knows that I'll always have trail mix and animal cookies (and lemon bars, but, that's another story) waiting for him at my house.
I love days like this. Even though my heart aches for my mom, I'm so happy for the memories.
I wonder what memories I will leave with people?
What are some of your favorite memories?
Friday, March 26, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


9 comments:
So sweet. I have such great memories of my childhood and I love those "de ja vu" moments when it all comes rushing back.
Whenever I hear Beastie Boys I always think of driving my little brothers to school, when I smell mulberry candles I think of Christmas in Michigan and when I drink hot chocolate I think of my grandma who for whatever reason has sent me a box of it for Christmas since I moved away and didn't even know it was my favorite. :)
It's funny, whenever I smell lilacs I can put myself in my grandma's bedroom, with her white sheer curtains blowing in the breeze, and I can smell her lotion at the same time, too. Very strong association between lilacs and my grandma!
The smell of tomatoes on a hot summer day is comforting, too. My mom always cooked and canned tomatoes and made tomato juice for chilis and soups in the winter -- she still does this and every August my mom's kitchen overflows with ripe tomatoes!
You know, my Marty has been without his mama since he was 15 years old. Every once in awhile he will have a dream with her in it, and sometimes they even talk and hug and laugh. I've actually PRAYED that God would give Marty more of these dreams so he can spend time with his beloved mama. I will pray this for you, too. :)
Love and hugs, my dear!
Becky
awww sweetie. I know your mom is smiling about the wisteria. This made me tear a little. Its good to have the great memories of ones we have lost. I smile everytime there is something that makes me think of my grandma and hope that she is smiling back... she used to call me her little bug... xxxooo
So sweet! I have a few of my grandmother's tablecloths. Sometimes I'll take them out of their drawer, bury my face in the fabric and inhale. Smells just like her house even after over 10 tears. I won't use them so I won't have to wash them and wash the smell away. Even though, I'm sure they just smell like musty old tablecloths...the same way the smelled when she would first drag them out of their drawer. Scent is so powerful. What a blessing that God tied it so strongly to our memory!
I love stories like that to make me smile. There's a certain smell of flowers (I think it's a lily) that reminds me of my childhood. I absolutely LOVE that smell!
I have a horrible memory so I'm not so good at recalling specific memories... but every once in a while I get that deja vu rush and it always makes me smile.
This makes my heart happy. Awhhh. My BFF who passed away my senior year...we were huge Dixie Chicks fans and everytime I hear the song Wide Open Spaces it makes me think of the road trips we went on and when we belted out the tune driving down I-5. I love that song still and still belt it out every time it comes on. I think I've gone through 3 of those CD's. LOL! XOXO
Wisteria. Just saying "wisteria" makes me happy. Its such a pretty word for a pretty plant. And its a really nice way to remember you mom.
Post a Comment