Tuesday, April 27, 2010

How I became a "runner"

Sidenote: I firmly believe that being a "runner" doesn't mean that I have to BQ, win age groups or anything like that--it just involves the love of running. Which yes, is weird and sick in its own rite.

On Sunday I completed my 4th marathon (say whaaattt?) with a slight eye on numero five in the distant future. I never thought I'd run a marathon--let alone four of them. Ever.

If you had told me two years ago that I would have run four marathons in 5 months, I would have laughed in your face. I remember reading blogs and stuff about girls training for marathons and having to run 20 miles and I couldn't even imagine running 20 miles. I was pretty sure that was some sort of super natural power. Something I could never, ever do--let alone anything I ever wanted to do. Because why on earth would I want to run for 20 damn miles?

I ran track in high school (ironic, right?) but the thought of cross country made me want to vomit--I also had what I consider an emotionally abusive coach, so, that never helped matters. Once I got to college I was on the crew team and we ran regularly each day and long runs on the weekends.

That chapter of my life closed and to keep my weight in check, I got involved in fitness competitions which meant super strict eating, running 4.5 miles a day and a few minutes of stairs each and every day (don't believe me? Ask my sorority sister, she lived through that particular breed of hell with me). It was the only time in my life I felt good about my body.

Years and a good 15 pounds later, I decided to start "running" again. And by "running" I mean like 20 minutes of jogging. 20 minutes of jogging became 30 minutes on the treadmill and then eventually following a training plan in order to complete a relay. I ran two minutes, walked a minute, ran two minutes--until it was running 3, 4, 5 minutes. However, the thought of 6 miles horrified me.

But, that horror eventually turned into 3 or 3.5 miles 4-5 days a week. Slow, slow, slow miles. And it challenging because when I was in fitness and crew I could pound out miles pretty quickly, but, years of not running will slow ya down.

This was also around the same time I started losing weight on Weight Watchers and I was ready to challenge myself. I decided to sign up for a half marathon that was 8 months away. My first weekend long run was 5 miles. This was February of 2009.

My first race was a 10k on Memorial Day 2009. My first marathon was November 22, 2009.

My first double digit run was the first week of June. My progress to 26.2 miles was slow and steady. I didn't bound out of bed one day and run 13 miles.

26.2 miles is a long way--I don't care who you are, it's far. It's hard. But it's possible. We have amazing bodies--they can do more than we think they can (how else can you explain babies?).

In two years I went from not being able to run for 3 miles to 4 full marathons. Sure, I'm not running 60 this year like some crazy guy I know, but, I am still runnin'.

And if I can do it, so can you.

Promise.

11 comments:

Natalie said...

I firmly agree with your sidenote! And thanks for sharing how you've pretty much gotten to marathon maniac status in a relatively short amount of time. I love reading about the different paths people take to get to their first marathon!

Jen Feeny said...

Love this post and I wholly agree with your side note as well! I'm glad you started running and blogging as both has lead us to meet! Run on my red haired sista from Texas, Run on!

Meredith Travels said...

Whew, I'm tired just reading your post. I've never been a runner but I've always wanted to be...

I feel like so many of my friends lately have been signing up for marathons and half marathons. And to be honest I'm a little jealous that I'm not a runner (or capable of being a runner) too!

Keep on tackling those marathons!

Carly A. Heitlinger said...

this is completely inspiring me!

d.a.r. said...

I love this!! You are amazing and so inspiring! So glad I got to meet you :)

Brittany Ann said...

You are awesome, whether others could do this or not. Fact is, you DID do it! And you deserve big kudos for that!

Anonymous said...

Thanks for sharing this! I love hearing these stories. So inspiring :)

Christy Ashley said...

I love this! Can't wait to make it to my first marathon!

Sam Felsenfeld said...

I definitely think you've caught the bug, although there are much worse addictions to have. Whatever you do, make sure you keep it fun. The health benefits from running are incredible and you don't want to quit!

Unknown said...

This is inspiring...YOU are inspiring!

I've committed to a 5k in October and I am in no way, shape or form a runner...but I'm going to do it. ;)

Sierra said...

I love this post! I too am a runner and understand where you are coming from. Start with baby steps and work your way up to it! I would love to run a half marathon one day, right now I've just done halfs. Wow very admirable! :)