Monday, April 5, 2010

"Anita, I need ya!"

Or, also titled "the random things we use to keep going on a 20 miler"

Oh.my.hell. Can I just tell you how freaking hard this last 20 miler was? Because it.was.in-tense. Honestly, I've already forgotten bits of it because it was so traumatizing. I am not kidding.

I guess I had it coming. A great 20 miler going into Cowtown, a 13 minute PR at Cowtown, an awesome run in Catalina--I obviously had it coming.

I don't know if I overestimated myself or underestimated the course or a combination of both--either way, it was one of those not so subtle reminders that hey, running isn't always perfect. Or even enjoyable. But, I think conquering those really hard runs (and races) makes you that much better. Even if I could hardly walk the remainder of the day.

It wasn't all bad. We had some fun too.

We got on TV. Thank God no one I know would be up at that hour on a Saturday to see me doing jumping jacks in Victory Park!

We ran into a bike race (and they were friendly!).

We ran around The Grassy Knoll.

We had to hunt for bathrooms.

We debated with a lady in a fancy pants neighborhood as to if we would jump out in the middle of the bike race or not (the answer was 'not').

We bitched at the hills.

We became slightly delusional as we fell apart around mile 17. As long as we could make it to Anita St, we were home free (it was the second to last turn on our course). I love Anita.

And I realized I am not going to PR at OKC.

And you know what? It's been a hard realization, but, I think accepting that right now is a good thing. I won't be disappointed when I fail miserably. I'm looking forward to seeing friends, old and new, having fun with my DRC buddies and enjoying a race. So what if it takes me way longer than I had hoped, that's OK. After all, it's been a busy few weeks, and will only get busier--I can't expect to run awesome. OH WELL!

Maybe I'll run Tulsa in November and PR there--who knows!

So, I've got a half this weekend (yay!) and then will run off after the race and teach Sunday School (since I'll be gone every other Sunday this month and had no good excuse for not being available to teach this week!). Don't worry, I'll shower first! Yikes. And then, OKC! Whoot!

(basically, I'm Sam's personal stalker)

I can't believe I'm another 20 miler down and ready for another marathon. OK, "ready" might have been an overstatement! Bwhwhahaha.

What did you do this weekend?

7 comments:

That Pink Girl said...

Boo to bad runs! And the weather was so perfect early Saturday. Guess sometimes the stars just don't line up. Sorry it stunk - probably means you are going to have a GREAT race this weekend! Hey, I'll be at the hot chocolate/coffee booth inside at Big D. You should stop by if you need a warm drink!
Good luck!

Kaci said...

Awhh hell that sucks that you had a bad run. =( Boo!

Dollface said...

Are you going to run in NY!!!! will ya?? xxxoo

Lindsey said...

I hate bad runs, but it happens. The good news is your next run will be better friend!

Sara McCarty said...

Bad runs happen to good people! Don't worry too much about it. Just focus on the next one. Soon enough you'll have one of those amazing runs that make everything right in the world and remind you why you love it so much. Then you can carry that run around with you through all the bad ones.

Sam Felsenfeld said...

You are my stalker. You're going to see me three times in three states in three weekends? Creepy.

Anonymous said...

Congrats on the 20-miler! You're totally right, not all runs feel good, but it's the tough ones that make you mentally stronger! I'm totally impressed by your mileage and all the marathons you're doing this year (I'm also totally jealous, too). Good luck this weekend, though! :)