Wednesday, January 20, 2010

6 months to 5 years

Yep, the husband and I are just 6 months shy of our 5 year wedding anniversary (all together now: awwwww).

We haven't been on a vacation since our honeymoon (no, Disney with the parents and Arizona circus do not count).

We won't be going to a Hawaii wedding this summer (but, still going to a wedding, it just won't be in Hawaii. Boo!).

All that to say, we want to go on a vacation this summer to celebrate our crazy insane 5 years (cause for real--these 5 years? Intense).

This is where y'all come in--any tips/locations/advice for an economical (read: um, low cost/cheap) beach-ish vacation? We've (um, I've) looked into cruises from Galveston, but, not exactly hot on the locations offered.

Please, share your wealth of knowledge.

Am I unfairly judging the Galveston cruise? Are there unknown islands that might offer nice beaches, fun activities and not a six figure pricetag? Can we do Hawaii on the cheap?

I'm all ears.

(thanks in advance)

15 comments:

Samma said...

You can come stay at by beach house in Florida! That's what Hubs and I are doing for our one year in May. Not very exciting I know, but we love it. It's where we honeymooned.

Heather said...

Happy early anniversary! We love Cabo San Lucas in Mexico.

Chocolate Lover said...

Check out pleasantholidays.com. They have deals to hawaii (and mexico I think). We got an awesome deal last may for the 2 of us for 6 days!

Casey (@ Chaos and Cardboard) said...

Have you cruised before? Honestly I would cruise just about anywhere. While the destinations out of Galveston aren't the best of the best, they would still be fun. Keep in mind though, summer in the Caribbean is rain/hurricane season. We went to Jamaica in early June. It was nice, but not the BEST time to go. If you could bump it up to spring or back to fall that might be better.

Amanda M said...

We went to Dominican Republic 2 years ago and had a great time. We stayed at the Paradisus Palma Real in Punta Cana. The pools and beach were really fun, the food was so-so, but I am snobby when it comes to food, so it was probably just me!

Dollface said...

I heard there are places in south carolina that are beautiful, like hilton head I believe... I hope you head to Hawaii!!!! xxxoo

THE Stephanie said...

Have you looked in to Mexico? My absolute FAVORITE place to go is The Royal in Playa del Carmen. It's gorgeous and you can go for prob around $2K. You would have a fabulous time, I promise. Oh, all-inclusive, too.

And Hawaii... no all-inclusive there. I'm all about not having to think about money on my vacations :) But that's just me.

Good luck! And happy almost anniversary! :)

Lindsey said...

The best places to look for great deals are travelzoo.com, bookit.com and sometimes expedia.com runs great deals. So fun, happy early anniversary!=)

Sara McCarty said...

Yes, you can do Hawaii on the cheap! You can do ANYWHERE cheap, you just have to be incredibly diligent and do a ton of research! Airfare to Hawaii is usually the most expensive part, but you can always use miles. We liked the Big Island the best b/c it was less touristy, more primitive and cheaper. All you really need in Hawaii is snorkle gear and a car to take you everywhere. And you can get a place with a kitchen to cut back on the cost of food.

Have you checked out cheapcaribbean.com? They have some super fabulous deals. And I'm sure any island in the Caribbean you go to would be amazing.

We did Belize pretty cheap for our honeymoon. And I've heard of people getting really great deals in Costa Rica. I went to Cabo last year to an all-inclusive for a few hundred bucks. And I'm going to Puerta Vallarta Mexico this summer with the girls for $200. Want to come too?!!

Tara Gibson said...

Thank you for the sweet comment and you should not feel that way, you look fabulous!

I woukd look into Mexico or even gulfshores!
Congrats on almost 5 years!!!

d.a.r. said...

Woohooo!!! I have no suggestions. As soon as we start planning vacations, weddings/babies/family stuff pops up and our plans get delayed. Hope you can take some time for you!!

Brittany Ann said...

We honeymooned in the Florida Keys and loved it! I'd recommend it to anyone!

Cake for Breakfast said...

Yes, Hawaii can be done affordably. I went to Maui for my honeymoon and discovered condos!! August is off peak season in Hawaii and we got an amazing one bedroom condo for $70 a night! I kid you not! Go to www.vrbo.com and search cities you want. It's a site where condo owners rent out their vacation homes themselves. Easy to use, lots of pictures. I had great success with it.
The other option is an all inclusive resort in Jamaica or Mexico. I also liked Cabo San Lucas and I've had lots of friends say good things about Sandals or Dreams resorts.

Alla said...

I agree with Sara and also nominate Costa Rica. Do you know that they call Costa Rica "poor man's Hawaii"? That's because you get beautiful beaches (Tamarindo), gorgeous vulcano (Vulcan Arenal) where you can go to hot springs spa for a day (el Tabacon for example) and all that at fraction of the price. Great facilities and wonderful food!!! $1 beers, $2.50 lunches on the beach, the fanciest dinner will cost you maybe $20 at most ... very inexpensive. It's very safe and clean and locals are super sweet. I did a driving vacation with a friend (2 girls) and we had the best time! If you want more specifics let me know.

TUWABVB said...

We just did a Galveston cruise over Chrimstmas and previous did one three years ago for our honeymoon. Definitely good points and bad point - email me if you have any questions.