Scene: The husband and I are watching something on National Geographic (don't be so surprised, I can venture outside my usual territory of Burn Notice and The Office--it's rare, but, it happens). We're watching something on Alaska and fish and stuff and because my husband is in love with Alaska, I'm willing to sacrifice for the common good (also, The Office was a re-run).
Also, this show is about salmon sharks. I kid you not.
Me: What's a salmon shark?
Husband: A shark.
Me: Like a shark shark, or a really big salmon that people call a shark because it's so big?
Husband: A normal shark, like a maco or great white.
Me: Does it look like a salmon? Why is it called a salmon shark?
Husband: Because 90% of their diet is salmon. They eat salmon.
Me: That's kind of misleading. I was picturing some sort of hybrid. Like a really big salmon--which would be cool because salmon is yummy.
Husband: That's not misleading--they eat salmon, thus, salmon shark. They probably taste like salmon.
Me: So then we should change the name of great whites to Surfer Sharks--since they tend to eat surfers.
Husband: ::blank stare::
Me: I'm just sayin', I was expecting some sort of damn hybrid. This is false advertising.
National Geographic Narrator: While humans have only been naming these salmon sharks for the last hundred years, they have been ruling these waters for centuries.
Me: Obviously, humans named these sharks stupidly. I still want to see a salmon/shark hybrid. This is dumb. I bet there's a bunch of people watching this excitedly hoping for some giant salmon. They're really disappointed.
Husband: Doubtful.
Yes my dears, I know nothing about sea life. Amazing that I have a college degree, isn't it? (it's not like I majored in marine biology people!) And am still sad that there really isn't some sort of giant salmon.
Hmph.
I guess I shouldn't become a teacher anytime soon......
P.S. Regarding running the Cowtown Marathon on Feburary 27th--we'll see how I feel on Saturday after my long run. Cowtown is two weeks before Catalina and I don't want to die and have a terrible race in Catalina, so, we'll see. In theory, I could use Cowtown as my last training run (er, 26.2 miles vs. 21 miles) and it's a difficult course, which could help me in Catalina since we all know I'm not running Catalina for time. Anyways, thanks for your comments and support--I don't want to let y'all down, but, I also don't want to ruin my chances of enjoying Catalina. I'll be at Cowtown either way :)
Friday, January 29, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


13 comments:
Yeah, I think that name is totally a misnomer! By the way, you probably already have read this but Jen Lancaster has some great sites on her blog about submititng work to editors, agents, etc.
Also, if you need a friendly editor, I read at the speed of light, and have excellent editing skills :)
Damn - I definitely was hoping for a gigantic pink shark. Definitely a misnomer. I wonder if they could do some kind of cross breeding and make salmon shark? {Can you tell I didn't major in marine biology either?}
I would totally think that they were a cross between salmon and shark too, not their diet!! im right there with ya buddy xxxoo
Now, see, my problem is the lack of naming continuity. What about the lemon shark? I highly doubt it's diet is 90% lemon. Phooey biology!
I'm with you on this one!
That name is totally misleading.
Dang you are a marathon maniac!
I like sharks. I like salmon. I totally understand your disappointment at a non-hybrid interspecies phenomenon. Screw you salmon shark.
Large Sea Creatures totally fascinate me (Giant Squid? SO CREEPY AND FASCINATING!). Had I been flipping through the tv guide and seen "Salmon Shark," I totally would have thought it was a giant hybrid... and been subsequently disappointed at the truth of the matter.
From an actual certified teacher (although I don't teach science:) I have no idea about any of this either, rest assured.
Dude, have you ever seen any of the bigass wild salmon that go up the waterfalls? They're huge! With ginormous teeth. How bout we just call them salmon sharks? Better name anyway, all the way around, I say...
Hahhaha! I love the 'blank stare' part.
LOL I totally agree
i heart sharks!!! ps I kind of agree with man of the house. Salmon shark is a stup name.
Post a Comment