Seriously. Squirrels.
At our last house, our backdoor was glass (mistake numero uno) and we had three large trees and about 50 feet of bushes (mistake numero dos)--and we had a magnolia tree in our front yard (mistake numero tres...although, I do miss that tree) and our sidewalk was littered with acorns (obviously, from the other trees, not the magnolia).
This should have been a sign that maybe we don't need to move in. Of course, being happy to get out of teeny apartment and into hardwood floor heaven, we didn't think anything of the damn trees and nuts galore. (what mistake am I on?) We were just happy to have a landlord who said we could have pets.
For the 2 years we lived there, our dogs waged a full on war against the squirrels. The glass in the back door was nearly broken at least 3 times a week and we had to keep our front blinds closed (thus becoming those neighbors) so that our dogs did not go apeshit on the squirrels residing in the magnolia tree. It was a constant struggle.
(we won't discuss the issue with the mailman at this point)
When we moved into our current home, we took note that there was only one large tree and with so many other fun things to bark at (school busses! neighbor dogs! automatic flood lights!) we weren't overly worried about SquirrelGate 3.0.
Until now (note, we've been here almost two years). My mentally challenged dogs have finally discovered the squirrels. Probably because the leaves on our backyard tree are nonexistent in the winter and they are using my backfence as some sort of Squirrel Superhighway. Yesterday, I saw one of those little bastards with what looked like a water bottle. Great, now they're digging through my garbage like bunch of racoons? Not good.
Tree--> fence--> neighbors tree. And thus the cycle continues.
My dogs spot the bastards out our bedroom window and then spend the rest of the day crying and jumping around like crazies. If we let them out to attack the squirrels, it just spirals into a fiasco of beagle howling and because she's a hound and not a genius, she hasn't realized that hey, guess what, squirrels live in the tree, they don't care that you've barked them up the tree. They win.
Squirrels: 1
Wild pack of dogs: 0
Tuesday, January 12, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


8 comments:
So the other day I was walking my family's dog's around my neighborhood. I was contemplating how cute I looked (pixie pants tucked into wellies, saffron peacoat, and headband incorporating everything). We were back to the condo and I had relaxed my grip somewhat. All of the sudden, our "beagle-ly blonde (we think she is a beagle-yellow lab mix) Dixie goes into squirrel alert, riling up the golden retirver Henry.
Both dogs, with their combined 160 pounds, lurch oout of my grip, causing me to both a) curse and b) wet my pants a little (it startled me and I had to go!). So thanks to the accursed dog-squirrel combo I had to dry clean my J. Crew pant. Bastards.
Hope that wan't TMI, hee.
I shall now refer to squirrels as bastards. Love it!
Squirrels are freaking evil. Furry rats from hell. I hate squirrels. Mally hates squirrels. Bastards. So once a few years ago I was getting ready to go on a run in the park. I was minding my own business and stretching my legs on a tress when some evil squirrel jumped out of the tree, onto my BACK and jumped off and ran away. I was screaming bloody murder and three people and the cops showed up to make sure I was ok. I was so shaken up that I could run that day and spent the next two hours in the hot shower in tears. Bastards I tell you!
oh my gosh, i would love to see pics of this. ooooh, or maybe you could shoot a video! this is hysterical. squirrels are seriously little bastards. my puppy's terrified of them.
My dogs do the same thing! My big one took down a chain link fence to get to one that wisely made it's escape from our back to our front yard! It's a curse, living with wildlife. And wild dogs.
Hysterical! Sorry, I have no dogs to compare with...but squirrels are sneaky little f**kers. :)
omg... im so happy i live in the city then... no attack of squirrels for me... when I was living at my parents there was an ant infestation, ew... i still get the creepy crawly feeling they are on me often, hahahah xxoooo
Post a Comment