I'm one of those lucky people who has a grocery store right down the street from their house (I also have two Target stores--obviously, these are homeowning priorities). The grocery store is staffed conpletely by Russian immigrants--which is a bit bizarre considering I live approximately .35 miles from the ghetto and was unaware that a Russian neighborhood was also housed there. (and that my city was a Russian immigrant locale)
They are always friendly and smiling which makes the tedious task of grocery shopping a bit more bearable.
However, what I can't understand is how what I'm sure are descendants of the KGB cannot put more than 1 item in a bag. Case in point: today, I left the store with nearly $150 in groceries (shut up, I'm feeding three adults here, two of which are country folk with big appetites) and approximately 7,000 grocery bags. Including one singular bag for my tortilla chips.
Now, I have no problem bagging my own groceries, and am willing to do so because I firmly believe that I can put at least 3 items in a bag. However, I'm thinking it's rude to just butt in and bag my own groceries if they're offering.
And that last thing I want is a bunch of angry Russians.
I really do like my grocery store.
Monday, January 11, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


4 comments:
This is hillarious! (i had to come out of lurking for this) being a (ex)russian-immigrant myself I have to give you my asessment- a) the grocery store is probably a money laundering set-up. b) maybe these russian immigrants are jewish and thus follow kosher rules of not letting meats and milk touch each other?
but i thought russian immigrants only stuck around nyc... I really wonder how they were able to go beyond..? Good luck and next time ask them for some Pelmenchiki. (meat dumplings)
I have to admit I literally laughed out loud. Being a fellow Okie you have to email me the name of this grocery store.
We have that problem at mine too, and there's not a Russian in sight. Must be some corporate training tip we're missing out on! But why, in this green-wise day and age? Something's fishy...
i take my own bags to the grocery store and so instead of perhaps having to actually use some of their bags they cram as much as humanly possible into my reusables - they're sometimes so heavy i have to have the SO come out to carry them up our stairs - so i guess either way is ridiculous
Post a Comment