Tuesday, March 23, 2010

Household Wars

I'm sure we all have these--with our spouse, our families, our roommates--there are just some things that no one wants to do, or in some cases, will do.

When my husband and I got married, I knew he hated doing the dishes, so, I've always done then unless he feels really nice and generous and does them for me (rare)--this results in him doing the laundry (not that I have any hatred towards laundry as he does towards dirty dishes, but, it's the 50/50 deal). The trash is usually something we both do--it just depends on when it gets full and who's around, etc.

Currently, however, we are waging a silent war. We've never uttered the words "this is war", but, I think we've both accepted that it is, in fact, war. Currently? We're both losing.

Recently, neither one of us will take out the bathroom trashcan (it's got like cotton balls,Q-Tips and dental floss in it--oh, and a few empty cans of Diet Coke). It's not big, it's not heavy, but, it's full. And we both seem to refuse to do it. I didn't empty it on principle when I went to Atlanta to see if he'd get annoyed and take it out. Nope. So now I'm forced to throw my makeup remover pads in the kitchen trashcan.

We're both losers.

Another battle? The guestroom and the toilet paper. Hasn't been a roll on there for two weeks. Solution? Walk into bathroom. Notice there is no toilet paper. Instead of going to the garage to get another roll, you walk to the other bathroom. Repeat this process 3-5 times a day. Even though there are 24 rolls in the garage!

Again, we're both losers.

And I don't see this ending anytime soon.

(yes, I realize this is terribly embarrassing, but, I'm nothing if not honest).

At least it hasn't resulted to one of us bringing another trashcan into the bathroom just so we don't have to empty it!

Please tell me I'm not the only one with weird household chore wars. (please)

15 comments:

Dollface said...

omg so funny.... I make Jared take out all trash, the smells makes me vomit. I fold laundry and do dishes, i loveee dusting. He vaccums. It is pretty even. Although sometimes we both get lazy. We have started keeping extra rolls of tp in the bathroom, so we dont have to go to the closet to get it... xxxoo

Manhattan Mommy said...

We have the same issues!! But are you sure that your husband is purposely not doing it, or he just doesn't think about it? I can leave a bag of garbage on the door handle for my husband to take out when he leaves for work, and he'll just pass it right by. If I point it out, he'll take it, but otherwise he's oblivious. Men!! :)

Glamorous Newlywed said...

Bwahahaha! The hubs and I don't ever silently battle over household chores, it's always out loud. (emphasis on the LOUD :) Probably a direct result of a Type A (him) living with a Type B (yours truly).

Sigh.

Samma said...

We are currently fighting the battle of the toilet paper roll too!

Jen Feeny said...

LMAO!!! Oh the fun stuff I get to look forward too...

Chocolate Lover said...

So funny! I think sometimes the only reason things get done around here is because there IS a war! hehe

Brittany Ann said...

Ours mostly revolve around the kitchen...cleaning and dishes, etc. But we're warring right there with you!

Lucky in Love said...

Dude, you just described my everyday life. Sometimes Matt will take out the kitchen trash and then not put a new bag in. What's up with that? So when I come home from work...I just stack up trash on the counter until he puts one in. But then I usually get so annoyed from almost throwing something in there with no bag that I usually end up doing it myself after about an hour. I lose the war every time.

melissa said...

Hilarious. And totally normal. My husband and I had a similar stand off over cleaning the guest bath (his). Turns out, he didn't even realize we were in a stand off. The man wouldn't know a dirty bathroom if he was locked in one for three days. I finally cleaned it when my pregnant girlfriend came to stay for the night. I hated to give in, but I know the poor thing would be in that bathroom about 100 times and I couldn't bear for it to be dirty!

Hope your hubby folds before you do!

~Mrs. Guru~ said...

HaHa we do this it is pretty funny!

kay said...

So funny and true, around here I have to say it is pretty much 50/50 weird, but we both like to clean!!The t.p thing has always been a silent war! Instead of just getting another roll. He will just put a new one on top of the empty roll!!All the t.p is stored in the linen closet right across the hallway from the bathroom!

Anonymous said...

This is so normal it's scary. My brother and I share a bathroom, and he doesn't seem to care about overflowing trashcans, or nasty sinks, or anything like that. So I try and put up with it until it makes my skin crawl and then I clean.

Chelsea Talks Smack said...

My love and I always switch chores, but I still find myself cleaning up after him, arg.

kanishk said...

We have started keeping extra rolls of tp in the bathroom, so we dont have to go to the closet to get it...
home jobs without registration

Melissa @ I Pick Pretty said...

Hehehehe. I heart being married.

We have an ongoing battle over whether it's appropriate to clean one's face on bathroom handtowels (gag!) - you know, the ones meant to be used to dry off your hands. And he pretends to forget to clean the litter box, which is usually my job but now his that I'm in that P-word condition (there's some nasty bug P-word women can catch from it).

Otherwise, we do a lot of 50/50 splits: I do the laundry, he takes out the trash, he (usually) cooks, I (usually) clean, etc.