Wednesday, May 5, 2010

And then I had a fortune cookie

Is it just me, or have fortune cookies gone downhill? They're more like "here's a faux ancient Chinese proverb" cookie. Because I haven't gotten one that is telling me anything about my future or fortune or anything like that in years.

Unless you count the one today that says (and I quote): "Bees with honey in their mouths have stinger in their tail". Um....? I mean, I guess I get the point and all, but, um...? Thank you Mr. Fortune Cookie Fortune Decider Man for thinking that one up.

It made me laugh.

Not as hard as the flip side of the "fortune" that said (in all caps) BANANA.

I will now just randomly spout off with "banana!" for no reason at all. Other than it's my fortune, duh. (anyone know what ancient Chinese code for 'banana' means??).


I'm still laughing about it.

I am not laughing about the fact that I ate enough Chinese food at lunch to ya know, feed China and all. But, maybe this means I'll skip dinner? (not likely)

Banana!

Sidenote: I want to thank each and every single one of you for your overly kind and meaningful comments/e-mails regarding my last post. I won't lie, the last few days have been really hard, but, it's almost like admitting it was the first step.

I still haven't gone for a run or hit the gym (10 days, not that I'm counting) which is the longest stretch of lazy that I've had in over probably 2 years. Probably doesn't help that I am not sleeping at all (Target brand Advil PM? Not the same! I was still awake and still in pain 5 hours after taking 2 of those bad boys!) thus making it impossible to run in the morning and the whole It's 90 degrees Out And Windy ruins the whole "quick jaunt around the neighborhood after dinner" thing. But, I'm kind of OK with it. I love running, and I don't want to hate it. I don't want to associate it with heat and being exhausted and miserable. I want to run for me. So, if that means I don't take a step until next week, I guess that's OK (can you tell I'm totally trying to convince myself of this?).

There's a gorgeous trail near my house that has honeysuckle and flowers blooming right now. I ran there all last spring and haven't been on it since the weather changed. I'm thinking that I need to get back to it--back to the path that taught me how to be a runner. Back to the trail where I ran my first 10 miler. Back to running for me. And then maybe the weight will come off. Maybe I'll feel at peace with me.

But, either way, I've got another race to train for. And after a lot of thought, I'm going to fork over the bagillion dollars and run an all night ultra. Holy jeezus. Why? I'm not really sure other than the fact that the training (read: Friday night long runs) means I get to sleep in on Saturday. Even if we are running until 5AM (I just gagged a little). And? Because this is the best way to make a solid group of friends that are, like me, insane. And it gives me a few extra weeks to recoup since they don't start till Memorial Day weekend. (and I needed something to do in July. I honestly don't have a single race on my calendar until November's DRC Half and it's killin' me!)

Also, my husband got a follow up e-mail for the job interview he had last week (if you follow me on Twitter you know he finally got an interview), but, as much as we hope he gets the job, we almost hope he doesn't, because he'll literally be gone 14 hours out of the day, commuting 3-3.5 hours each day and the pay isn't even in the realm of "good". But, it's a job, right? Who knows.....

Anyways, thank y'all for the kindness. I can't tell you how much it means.

Banana!

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yeah! I want a real fortune. Like: tomorrow you will get enough money to buy a new car. What about: you will die of blood poisoning in thirty years? Maybe we should start a fortune cookie business!

Natster said...

Hey, I haven't commented in awhile {I used to do the diet diva blog too with Merrianne}, but I just read your post about all that you are struggling with and it really hit home. I don't know if this will help but the book "Intuitive Eating" did wonders for me and my body image issues. It is a book about learning how to develop a healthy body image by establishing a healthy relationship with food. Be forewarned, this book suggests that you abandon all thoughts about dieting and losing weight, so that you can focus on healing and ultimately reach a healthy body weight for you. It isn't a weight loss program or diet, it is just a way to re-establish health in the mind body and spirit. Does that make sense?
If you want, you can check out their website
http://www.intuitiveeating.com/
{Note:I bought the book on amazon}

This whole concept sounded bogus to me at first, but let me tell you, I no longer have guilt about food, I actually like my body and shape (pear shaped!), and my body is at a healthy weight. The one thing I also want to mention is that it is a journey. There is no quick fix. It has taken me over a year to even be able to completely abandon the diet mentality. Yet,it is worth it. I hope this is something that will help you. It truly has changed my life. Let me know if you have any other questions.

Anonymous said...

Ahahaha the BANANA thing seriously made me crack up. In fact, I LOL'ed. Also, I CANNOT believe you signed up for an all night ultra! I am uber jealous, that sounds EPIC (hehe). You amaze me!

Kate said...

Fortune cookies are totally noncommittal these days. My fiance's dad got a fortune one time that said " a carrot a day MAY keep the cancer away." That is my all-time favorite. But the bee one is pretty darn good : )

Sara McCarty said...

WHAT?? You're running an ultra?? Whoa. You are so BANANA!!!

Naturally Caffeinated Family said...

banana! haha! my mom used to want to collect fortunes because they had a chinese word and what it meant in English on the back, so she said she was going to create her own little dictionary, hahaha, we kept saying Mom you can buy one! haha, she is so funny! hope you have a WONDERFUL weekend! :)

Nishant said...

I think It isn't a weight loss program or diet, it is just a way to re-establish health in the mind body and spirit. Does that make sense?
post free classified ads