Tuesday, May 18, 2010

Back at it (sort of)

So, last week in desperate efforts to get back to running, I sent out an email to my running folks and asked if anyone wanted to do a 6AM Lake Loop. (I usually have problems getting a group together at 6 when we aren't actually "training") I run at 6 because I am slow and it's hot, and why the heck would I want to sleep in that extra hour and get used to it? This only backfires during the 20 miler weeks! Anyways! I finally got a response and was thrilled because it was from one of my favorite running buddies and I knew I couldn't leave him hanging by not showing up.

Our one-on-one run quickly became a small group of our usual pack and it was so much fun to be out with my friends again. Of course I struggled for every single one of those 9 miles (I woke up in some fantasy land where I was going to try for double digits--I'm obviously deranged). It was hot. Summer hit us like a freight train and the damn humidity. I haven't gotten used to this yet, so, that was an added struggle (sure, record snow and freezing temperatures, and then we go straight to 90 degrees....), but, I did it.

Usuaully, you know me, I get all bitchy and upset at myself if I don't hit a certain number of miles or a certain pace or whatever, but, would you believe that I was just happy? I was so proud of myself for getting up, getting out there and pushing through the damn heat and humidity. Sure, 10 miles would have been better, but, I ran the best 9 miles I could on that day under those circumstances (it's like I'm a grown up or something).

Best part of the day? One of my regular running buddies is running an October marathon (like me!) and once I'm finished with the hell that is El Scorcho training, she and I are going to power through end end of July and August together--there's nothing worse than having to get in 10 extra miles after your group finishes. I was dreading having to train through the summer months by myself. I detest long runs alone. I detest them even more when it's 500 degress out. Thank goodness we'll be able to stick it out together! And? She's a little quicker than me, so, I'll have to step it up!

So sure, I'm not quite back up to my crazy running standards, but, we're getting there. I mean hell, I willingly paid money (a large amount, I might add) to run a 50k that starts at midnight. When did I become this person? (I kinda like her. She's kinda hardcore. Even if she does wear pink on her runs and sports a headband that says 'In My Dreams I am a Kenyan'. And then hopes she doesn't offend anyone)

9 comments:

Glamorous Newlywed said...

Heart you. Run some extra miles for me and my cartilage-free knees :)

THE Stephanie said...

Girl, you SHOULD be proud of yourself! Run SP, RUN! :)

Dollface said...

You should always be proud of yourself. No-one expects you to be running so much that you are running in your sleep!! xxxoo

Sarah B. said...

Yep, be proud. My husband has set his alarm everyday for the last 6 days and not gotten up once...but guess who else has....yes, I wake up and tell him his alarm went off so he can go run and he says "No thanks, just turn it off" and I am stuck watching crappy infomercials...aughhh!

Brittany Ann said...

Glad some buds are there to encourage you! Fellow fitness enthusiasts always help me, too!l

That Pink Girl said...

Yay for being proud of yourself! You did 9 more miles than most people and you were up waaay earlier than most too!
And OMG the humidity! What happened? I turned around and suddenly it is Summer. Eeeew!

d.a.r. said...

Go you!!!

I am so super duper proud of you and can't wait to hear how you do in these insane-o races.

Still not sure about fall plans myself. As it turns out, the husband is likely going to be gallavanting off to another trip to the sandbox {ie Iraq}, so planning is put on hold. But, I'd love to link up at a race if we can!!

Anonymous said...

I HAVE to find a running group! It must be so nice to have people out with you at 6am! You should be proud of yourself! Nine miles is no joke.

prashant said...

No-one expects you to be running so much that you are running in your sleep!!
post free classifieds