Monday, May 17, 2010

This is obviously payback

So, remember how in December I decided to get all Suzy Homemaker on you and I got all super involved in my HOA for like a day? Yeah. So, while it was a good experience and let me finally meet some of my neighbors, I have missed the monthly meetings because I have very few nights free and to be honest, I haven't been able to make it to any of the them, save for one meeting, and I was too tired to even think about going to a women's club meeting. Also, sidenote, the invitations go out on Sunday for Tuesday night events--um, yeah.

Anyways. Last week was the annual spring meeting or whatever. Again, I didn't go (awesome HOA member, right?).

But, because the ladies are so nice, they sent out a meeting recap to everyone on the email list. So, I felt like I was there. That was good.

Then I keep reading and see it: someone had the genius idea to nominate me and my husband for "block captain" (each street in our neighborhood has a captain or whatever). Um, are you joking? I about died laughing.

I think it's a default nomination, since I'm pretty sure we're the only people on our street in the HOA. And definitely the only people on our street that the HOA members at least know.

I still haven't received my official request (as I assume it will involve a notarized letter, balloons, flowers and chocolates delivered to my door, of course), but, I'm seriously wondering if this is a weird joke, or, if they really do want me in charge of my street.....? Because um, if so, I have some grand ideas (mostly involve people and their obtrusive security light that shines into my bedroom, but, that's just one thought).

But, seriously, is this some sort of payback for not attending meetings? Will my old neighbors really take my seriously? And will I get a super cool "neighborhood crime patrol" decal to put on my car (like the retired folks in my neighborhood who cruise the streets 24/7--they live for that damn decal!)? Or a stun gun? Because if you want me to keep the neighborhood safe, I'm gonna need some weapons.

10 comments:

Glamorous Newlywed said...

Um, if you get a stun gun, I want to know about it :)

Anonymous said...

Good luck with that! A stun gun would almost make it worth the trouble!

Sara McCarty said...

Hahahaha! Good luck with this one! If you're going to do it, I'd ask for a tiara. This kind of power deserves to be recognized appropriately (i.e. with something big and sparkly).

Patience said...

I never go to our HOA meetings, they talk about the same 4 issues everytime and it sends me over the edge. I would politely decline if they ever nominate me. Although my husband is the VP...sucker!

Dollface said...

Aww.... I hope that you get balloons as your invite, haha... dont worry I skip meetings too... ahhhh I hate responsibility! haha xxxoo

d.a.r. said...

Hahahaha pictures please if you get a singing telegram-balloon filled invite :)

Serves you right for trying to get involved, tee-hee!

~Mrs. Guru~ said...

LOL, too funny.

Heather said...

Just found your blog and it's so cute! Good luck with this!! I think you should get the stun gun! :)

Brittany Ann said...

Oh man! Can I borrow your stun gun? My neighborhood needs it!

prashant said...

Good luck with that! I want to know about it :)
post free classifieds