Sorry y'all, but this peppy redhead has been missing the pep in her step lately and feels like gettin' it all off her chest might just help. You'll hang with her through this, right? (promise to be back to my ol' dumbass self--soon)
Y'all are my ever trusted and most favorite interweb friends, so, I can be honest with you. Truth be told, I haven't been totally honest. I mean, I have, it's not like I was tellin' lies, but, I'm sure at the same time, I haven't just laid it all out there. So, here goes.
I'm depressed.
Yep. There. I said it.
I've battled depression since I was a teenager. Sadly, this directly coincides with body image issues. Had those since I was a teenager as well. Ironically enough, pre High School, I felt great about myself and was an kick ass gymnast and later won regional championships for vaulting. Oh how I miss horses..... Anyways, I was strong, powerful and could do something very few people could do. After all, can you stand on one leg atop a moving horse? Didn't think so.
Anyways, HS tore me up and then when I got to college, it got worse. I went to one of the most beautiful schools where every single girl (it seemed) was a size 00, tall, blonde and gorgeous. I am 5ft, not a size 00 and not beach blonde. I hated myself.
Sure, I was co-captain of our crew team and we did great (won our first race--whoot!), and could lift weights with the boys (yes, we had our weight workouts with the football players--hilarious memories to this day). But I was miserable. I wasn't your standard waif like coxswain. Nope. I always teetered on the line of "needs to lose weight". That sucked.
My roommates could eat pizza all night and not gain a single ounce. If I looked at a piece of pizza, I'd go up a size.
After my mom died, I went through a very dangerous phase of well, not eating anything. My sister had to be flown out to Texas and force feed me. Literally. I remember being in tears at the mall because she bought me a cookie and I refused to eat it. I had lost 15 pounds in 3 months. I felt fantastic (even if I was so tired I could barely stay awake past 8PM). I was in control. I was a size 00 for the first time since 8th grade. I looked good in a two piece.
I moved home for the summer and kept it up, only gaining about 2-3 pounds back. After all, I worked hard to look like this and I was not going to give it up.
Well, eventually, I gave up and had gained back most of the weight by the time I got married a year later. But, I looked better--I was toned and happy. Happy! I had a blast running around Hawaii in a two piece and sporting short shorts.
Somewhere along the line, I lost that. I don't know why my happiness is tied to the way I look, but, it is.
Last year, I went on Weight Watchers and lost the weight--never getting back to my college days skinny, but, getting to a weight that was normal for my height and build and a weight where surprise, I could eat, but not be unhappy.
Last summer, things were good. I was skinny, I was training for a marathon, my husband was done with school and he was training for a Century Bike Ride. We were endurance athlete all stars.
Then, as the months ticked by, the weight crept up and the depression came back. I got sick. A lot. I was stressed. I was unhappy.
I still am.
My husband still doesn't have a job. He's been out of school for a year. It's been really hard on him. He wants to work. He wants to provide for us (I on the other hand am quite happy to be at home). But, he can't. This has not helped the depression.
Don't get me wrong, I love my job, I'm very fortunate, but, at the end of the day, I don't feel like this is what I'm totally meant to do forever.
So, right now, I'm stuck.
I'm stuck in a land where I'm 20 pounds heavier than I was last year. Stuck in a place where I work so that we can survive. Stuck in a place where I try to be strong for my family because at the end of the day--it's freaking hard to be unemployed. Stuck in a place where I just hold my breath and pray for the best. Pray that tomorrow there will be a job. Pray that tomorrow I can get up and run the weight off. Pray that tomorrow will be better than today.
And then I wait some more.
I've used running as my shield. My "only". The definition of who I am for hopes that I could run off the weight, run off the depression and if I could just crack my marathon time goal, everything would be OK. I'd be happy again and then I could solve everything.
Well, shocker, that didn't happen. Or work.
And I don't know what will.
Thank you for sticking with me through all this. And especially through this terribly horrible post that I've just written.
I'm so grateful to all my blog friends who never cease to amaze and inspire me. I'm so grateful for you friendships and hope you know that. So, thank you.
I just thought that by sharing the honest to goodness truth, someone might be able to related. Or maybe I'll just feel better.
We'll see.
(GlamNewlywed, I'll be at home watching Burn Notice on repeat if you'd like to join me--because Michael Weston makes it all better)
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


27 comments:
You are an amazing person and I adored you the SECOND I met you. I used to struggle with very similar issues, so I know that nothing I can say is going to make it better, but know that you have a beautiful smile and a wonderful heart and I can't wait to come back to Texas and cheer you up!
Stay strong, keep running and know that you have a friend in Boston who thinks you're amazing (and many other friends elsewhere, I'm quite sure!).
I'm saying a prayer for you =)
So, I'm a newbie follower, and I just had to comment on this post. I can relate to SO MUCH of how you feel. My husband was laid off last year and still hasn't been able to find work, and I'm stuck in a job that is less than amazing so we can survive. It's so hard.
I also identify with a lot of your thoughts on running. Last year, when I started training for my first marathon, I thought it would be a sort of "magic weight loss cure," which it certainly hasn't been. I do love it, but I also struggle with getting the motivation to do it.
Anyway, I don't what exactly the point of this is, other than to say that I love following your blog and to tell you know that you aren't alone!!
Hang in there! :)
When can I come over????? I just bought the first season on DVD!
Heart you. Call me this week, we'll hang out!
Oh sweetie. I'm so sorry you're going through all this. Even though we've never "met", I can tell that you truly are a beautiful person - inside AND out.
Hang in there! I'll have you in my prayers.
I admire you for putting this out there. I don't have any answers but I do know that you are a strong person and you can make your way through this.
This sounds rough. When I'm having dark moments where it feels like everything around me is falling apart I try to realize there are something I can control and something I can't.
I'm not very religious but the Serenity Prayer always makes me feel a little bit better. Or it helps me to realize that I can only do so much.
God grant me the serenity
to accept the things I cannot change;
the courage to change the things I can;
and the wisdom to know the difference.
I hope things start looking up. You can make it through anything! Look how far you've come!
xoxo,
Meredith
I'm a new follower and I'm sure you don't know me :) And, I can't relate to what you are going through now....but, I've truly loved your blog, think you have a great personality and when I first saw a picture of you, I though "she has the perfect figure! I wish I was little and petite like her!". So, although you may be judging yourself a little harshly lately, just know that is not what others see. I'm with you that I thought the weight would just fall off when I started marathon training....well, it didn't. But, I will tell you that even though I wasn't losing weight, I noticed changes in my body and how my clothes fit. I also noticed the internal changes I felt inside and the fact that I could outlast most people in a run...even if they darted out in front of me to start.
So, keep your chin up. Things will improve for you and your husband....and keep the faith!
I'm a newbie follower too but I wanted to speak up because I am going through some similar things. It's been a really rough year. I had to move back home due to a sick relative who passed in February and the only job I could find was one where I get yelled at on the phone by people all day. I have a bachelors degree and I graduated summa cum laude...but I guess that doesn't matter right now! It took me six months to find this crap job. I'm going to apply to graduate school and I'm working on managing my emotions/taking better care of myself...well I decided to take 1 class in addition to working at this awful job full time ...stupid decision..anyway I will hopefully take better care of myself soon....but right now I'm drinking a beer...lol...coping mechanisms..
Just wanted to say I can relate and keep fighting the good fight..I know things will get easier for all of us soon! Running helps depression...just remember to listen to your body and don't overdo it. Love yourself.
Thanks so much for writing this! I actually know how you feel and I deal with a lot of the same insecurities about weight and how I look. I always want to be thinner, thinner, thinner. My weight fluctuates so much (10-15 lbs), and it's not easy to hide when you're short. I know I don't look bad, but I don't always feel like I look good either. And summer swimsuit season is just the worst. Let's hang in there together and just be happy that we're healthy and strong and smart!!
You sound like me last week. Keep your head up. I know it can be tough.
For I know the plans I have for you," declares the LORD, "plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future. Jeremiah 29:11
oh sweet SP, i'm so sorry you're going through all of this. you are so pretty and sweet and pretty and an amazing athlete and pretty and cute ;)! thank you for sharing and i'm praying for you and a GREAT job to come along for Hubby! Hugs!
Oh friend, I'm so sorry. I think you are such a gorgeous person inside and out! I pray your hubby gets a great job and you will know just how beautiful you are! HUGS!
oh, i'm sorry you are going through all of this. I know there's nothing we can say to make it all go away, but here's hoping! My fiance has been looking for work for a year or so now too, so I know how you feel (sort of). It will all work out in the end... it has to... Keep your chin up, girl! Thanks for sharing.
I love the your blog. It must have been difficult to bare your soul this way, but it makes me respect you even more. I truly enjoy and look forward to your posts, and I hope you feel better soon.
It's so brave of you to admit that you're depressed. I hope that you can hang in there, and maybe look into talking to a therapist. *hugs*
I am so sorry you are down my luv! You have my number if you ever want a vent sesh! Things will get better, believe they will get better and know that you are loved by many and we will all have you in our prayers. xoxo
Thank you thank you thank you for sharing! You are not alone, and man, can I relate!
Just remember that you are beautiful and loved by all of us! You run marathons and make us all laugh! You're you, and we love that!
We're also here if you need an ear. I'd rather you be real a thousand times over than peppy when you don't want to be
I know it was probably really really hard for you to write all that out but I wanted to tell you how much I appreciate it...to hear that someone I admire has similar feelings and ups and downs that I do is uplifting to me even if you didn't mean for it to be so. With all that said - I know that you can pull through this and find your happiness again. I'll be thinking of you for sure.
Sending hugs and positive thoughts your way. I know that wasn't easy to put out there. We're here for you!
Oh blog friend, I'm sorry you're going through a rough time. When does it get easier? I don't know if it's comforting or not to know that others are struggling also and you're not alone. I think you and the running and your marathons are pretty amazing. And I think you never know what tomorrow may bring.
I can relate...I stepped on the scale today and it read that I gained 10 pounds since January. I'm in tears and am pissed off. Ugh...I can so relate. I'm offering you lots of cyber XOXOX love ya!
A.... you are amazing. Thank you for sharing that story with us. I am here for you always! You have my email personal and work, and you can also call me anytime. I get down in the dumps as well, and anytime you want to talk about depression I am here. I have been through it.... life works one day at a time. Keep strong, stay beautiful and know that we all love you... xxxooo
No worries hon - when I was a teenager I was full out depressed (even suicidal) for at least a year or two. It runs in my family, and some people are just more susceptible than others.
This may not help, but at times when I've been low I've thought about whether I'd choose differently if I could - would I pick a gray life or one full of color, the ups AND the downs? And I always pick the latter and it makes the downs almost sweet in their intensity, knowing that the ups are the same.
You'll oscillate back around, I know it. Just be aware that this isn't permanent, and when you get those tiny moments of choice as to whether you'll pull yourself up out of it or not, take the right path! You can do it! :)
I won't say I know what you are dealing with because I don't. But what I will say what has helped me through life's ups and downs.
Try to take a hold of the areas of your life you can control/change. The area's that are out of your grasp? Do not fret over them. Easier said than done. I know.
I totally feel ya my sweet. My entire mood some days can be completely dependent upon how well I ate the day before, did I work out or sit on my butt, or how tight my jeans felt.
I struggle a lot separating the two...and realizing that I am (and we both are) just perfect they way we are. And we are blessed. We have fabulous husbands who leave garbage sitting by the trash can...but we love them nonetheless :)
You are an incredibly strong, brave and beautiful person - and what you just wrote proves it! As someone whose struggled with very similar issues (depression, anxiety, weight issues varying from way too skinny to overweight, uggg), I really think that recognizing you are in a funk is half the battle.
Keep your chin up, keep doing the things that make you happy, and talk with someone if it all just seems like too much - when I sink back into my dark places, the last thing I want to do is talk about it but it ALWAYS helps!
I admire you for putting this all out there. I am right there with you...my husband has been out of work for seven months, and although it is only part of what's been going on, it's a big part. It's so hard to see him frustrating and down on himself and nothing I can do about it. And OMG, the weight I have gained in the past months...I can barely face myself. And yet, I keep it all internalized, and don't let on that anything's bothering me, when everything is. I feel you and your situation. Sending big hugs to you even though you don't know me. I'm in Dallas too, if you ever want to talk. Sorry if that sounds creepy/stalkery.
cozystyle.blogspot.com
Post a Comment