(or, Dallas, we have a problem?)
Problem? The firepit.
I love that thing. I've wanted one since the hubs and I got out of the sweet, sweet world of apartment life and moved into a little rental house (sometimes I sooo miss the apartment. Washing machine leaking? Call maintenance! Garbage disposal stuck? Call maintenance!). But, since we didn't own the home and our backyard was kind of janky anyway, we didn't get one due to the fact that uhhh, we didn't want to burn down the house (sidenote: the house next door to ours that our landlord also owned? Burned down earlier this year. I'm certain there was no firepit involved).
Then, two years ago, we bought our very own piece of land (and by "land" I mean that strip of grass in our front yard) and ever since then I have been going on and on about a damn firepit already. I mean s'mores, sitting around by the fire and talking--how fun!
But it was not meant to be. The ones we liked were never in stock, or we missed the "season" during which Target/Home Depot/Lowes stocks them (fyi, it's January-April, which makes a crapton of sense, obviously). But damnit, I wanted one.
So, last week. The sis and the hubs bought one. And the sis put it together because I was having a bad day. Because she's awesome.
Obviously, we're going to make s'mores.
Obviously, I'm going to buy supplies. Did you know that on the back of the graham cracker box there is a recipe for s'mores? A recipe! Isn't it just like we're born knowing how to make them. I found this hilarious.
The problem? It's 500 billion degrees here and humid as hell. Soooo, we haven't made friends with the firepit yet because it does not cool down at night and who wants to sit by a fire when it's already as hot as the core of the earth? My point exactly.
But, I have s'mores supplies and they cannot go to waste (not like the time I bought marshmallows for Rice Crispies and forgot about them and then they went stale). Naturally, I make them in the microwave (this is not as fun. Or tasty). Currently? I've killed half a box of graham crackers.
This is a problem.
Wednesday, May 26, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


12 comments:
This reminds me of the time the hubs decided to camp in the backyard with the kids. In the middle of the summer. In San Antonio.
They were inside in less than 10 minutes. (But not before we built a "campfire" in the backyard and had s'mores!)
Aww, how sweet that they bought and assembled the firepit for you!! Hope you get to make your smores soon (even if it already feels like August here in Dallas - ugh!).
cozystyle.blogspot.com
yum... im coming over and I want smores... wedding diet, scmiet.. xxxooo
S'mores in the microwave aren't the same, but they will do in a pinch!!!
Aww I'm sorry about your fire pit! I think I may be the only person in the world that doesn't like smores =/
It is hot here in Texas and Mr. Guru wants a fire pit as well.
OMG I love Smores. Best dessert in the whole world. We had a smores station at our rehearsal dinner. :) We have a firepit in our backyard that we love. It's fabulous in the fall! Don't worry, you'll use it.
1st, janky. I use this word all of the time and NO ONE ever knows what it means. Clearly you are too cool fir knowing it AND for using it.
2nd S'mores. The broiler. Yep. Plop a chocolate on a Graham cracker, set that ooey gooey marshmallow on top and stick it under the open flame of the broiler. It will melt, blacken and NOT get rubbery like in the microwave. I have this down to s science. But, uh, guess it really only works if you have a gas oven. Huh.
OH MY GOSH! We are exactly the same. The fire pit is the first thing Matt and I want to build!!!! Probably will have to wait until we have a fridge. Or grass. But after that...s'mores here I come!
Mmmmmmm smores!!!
S'mores in the microwave?! Have you ever tried roasting the marshmallows over your stove top? (even if you don't have a gas stove, you can roast just fine over the coil-type, too!). But for real, I'm sorry it's so darn hot down there!
I have your temporary solution - Dreyer's Slow Churned Ice Cream, Smores flavor. Just polished off a carton myself! Not quite as special as the real thing, obvs, but better suited to our Texas summers.
Post a Comment