Elephant in the room, elephant in the room, elephant in the room: ALCS CHAMPS TEXAS RANGERS!!
Ah! My little brain can hardly comprehend the awesome that is this situation. Now, I’m not a die hard baseball fan or anything, but, I do like it—I’ve liked the Rangers since I moved here seven years ago.
And now my boys are going to The World Series! Or, should I say, The World Series is coming to my boys! Holy heck. All kinds of awesome. Antlers Up! Go Rangers! (and it doesn’t hurt that Josh Hamilton is just such a cutie pie. Ha!)
Moving on.
Couple of things:
1. My aunt was here this weekend, which meant that I learned a whole heck of a lot about my family. Such as:
a. My dad used to date a woman who was um, shall we say, into not wearing the clothing so much. Yeah. This probably explains why my dad married my super conservative mother and then my even more conservative stepmom.
b. My grandparents had an “open relationship”. As in, my grandma had a boyfriend. FOR SEVERAL YEARS. Of course my grandparents later divorced.
c. My grandpa and his live in girlfriend of 25+ years (after he and my grandma divorced) was his high school sweetheart and the first girl he ever kissed. If that just isn’t the cutest thing ever, I just don’t know what is.
d. My great great grandma had a career path similar to Julia Roberts a la Pretty Woman. In the middle of nowhere, Iowa. I cannot stop laughing about this.
e. Five years after my grandparents divorced, my grandma met her future live in boyfriend of 25+ years at a bar in what is now Skid Row. She was 15 years older than him (I always knew that). Awesome.
f. My grandparents had to hide their marriage, as Iowa school teachers weren't allowed to be married. I guess the move to Southern California really changed my grandparents!
g.How I didn’t end up barefoot and pregnant, married to Larry the Cable Guy at 18, I will never know. Just, judging my family history and all.
(neither of my grandparents ever married their "live in boyfriend/girlfriends", but, they became family to us kids. I adored my "grandma Wilma" and "grandpa Harry" even though they weren't ever married to my grandparents)
2. Whew. I’m exhausted. I don't have the energy to talk about how I got up way too early, ran way too far and totally hurt myself so badly I can barely walk, just like I did last year (hence the title of this post). We can talk about that tomorrow, k? K.
Why couldn’t I be from a line or nobility or something? I mean seriously.
Monday, October 25, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


10 comments:
REALLY enjoyed this post!
You are such a cutie Ally! Wish we lived closer.
It's funny how familiy secrets are way less scandelous as the years go by and just amusing. (well, some of them anyway)
What a great opportunity to bond with your Aunt and for her to pass those down!
This only confirms we were separated at birth. Your family is just as bat-shit crazy as mine! LOL! :)
Haha! I love how you worded that "ala Julia Roberts in Pretty Woman"
Iowa school teachers couldn't be married to each other? or couldn't be married at all?
Hilarious!! I love learning these lil' gems about my own family!
HA Skid Row!! =)
Whoa. Your line of grandmas and great-grandmas sure have some funny life stories! I love it!
I love your family!! I can't believe you got so much seedy family history over one weekend. I'd be in shock! Although knowing my gradma, I guess I shouldn't be that surprised... :)
Post a Comment