Tuesday, October 12, 2010

Mi casa es su casa

Welcome! Grab a Diet Coke and get settled!

When we bought our home (::cough:: two years ago ::cough::), there were plenty of things we needed to deal with right away. Like the wallpaper. And the A&M/CSI splatter painting in the hallway. Other things we could let slide. Like the window coverings in the living room.


Nope, your eyes do not deceive you--those are, in fact, hippie beads. Like the ones you had in your dorm room freshman year. (note that while the previous owners had fancy furniture as seen above, they did not so much have taste--as evidenced by the wallpaper and splatter paint...I'll need to find those pictures)

So, we left them. Because, we couldn't figure out what to do. We didn't want real curtains to block the view of the backyard. We couldn't afford plantation shutters. We didn't want blinds. So, we just left it.

Then last spring, I got the brilliant idea to just take them down.
See? (also, yes, the windows are dirty, shut up) No one was really a fan of this. So, the beads went back up.
Until a few weeks ago when I'd had it up to here and decided once and for all--gauzy curtains it is.
Ta da!
So.much.better. Love.

Now, we just have to fix the pink sofas and creepy people on the mantle and we're set.

Lest you think I was being overly dramatic about the creepy people on my mantle and all.

7 comments:

Samma said...

Ha! You are inundated with creepy mantel people! A good place to ask about a slipcover lady is discount fabric stores btw.

TUWABVB said...

The curtains look great! We're hoping to get plantation shutters one day as well - the view to our backyard is gorgeous, but I'm worried that I'll just keep them open all day and never use them.

Sara McCarty said...

Love the new curtains! Especially love that super long curtain rod - it makes the room look really large. And the creepy people need to go. Vamous!

Brittney said...

I love your windows! I wish we had bigger ones to let in more light. Have you thought about dark bamboo blinds? We used those in our old house. It gave us just enough privacy but let the light filter in. Then we just pushed our white curtains to each side (I think they were similar to yours).

That Pink Girl said...

Your windows are ah-maze-ing! Love she shears; much better than beads. Plantation shutters are on my Dream House List.

d.a.r. said...

Gah, those windows are so gorgeous. I really like the sheers on them now. Though, those beads did have a certain "sumthin sumthin" to them.

Yikes. The creepy people would pretty much give me nightmares. Then again, perhaps you could dress them in seasonal accoutrements. You know, mini-Santa beards, tiny witch hats, itty-bitty bunny ears. With a lil' scotch tape, you would be in business! :)

Brittany Ann said...

I love it! It's so you!