Thursday, October 9, 2008

Attempts at overachieving

Recently, I got this little idea into my little mind that having a nice dinner every night and actually taking the time to eat would be a fantastic idea! After all, we have a dining room and a breakfast nook--both have yet to see a meal. Well, unless you count when we have friends over. Anyways. Yes, it is a rarity for us to have a nice sit down meal--usually because we're juggling pets, homework, work, writing, cleaning--the whole "grown up" nonsense.

So, Miss SP Homemaker went to the grocery store last week with a mission: buy food for meals next week. Not just a list of food items, but, a list to make meals.

Here is what the meal plan looked like:

Monday: Oven pizza because I would be in class
Tuesday: Baked salmon with roasted cauliflower
Wednesday: Black bean burgers
Thursday: Stuffed roasted red peppers
Friday: Penne with wilted spinach, ricotta and garlic.

Ya know how it's gone this week?

Monday: Pizza (check one! --I didn't go to class, but, since I had a headache, the hubs was able to handle the pizza)
Tuesday: Black bean burgers because the hubs was leaving la casa at 7, so, it had to be fast.
Wednesday: Spaghetti. Because I was out the door at 6:30.
Thursday: Do you really think I'm going to make roasted red peppers tonight? Yeah...
Friday: Only time will tell. Friday will probably end up being a call to Pei Wei. I'm just sayin'.

Clearly, my attempts at being Happy Homemaker are not panning out.... yet.

But, The Office is one tonight, so, big collective "wa whoo!"
Wish me luck. I may have to cook tonight after all.

PS. Official 100th post, y'all!

13 comments:

Mrs.Preppy said...

Yum... Pei Wei sounsd good. I know what we are having for dinner tonight.

Mojito Maven said...

yeah this is how it usually happens at our house too haha

Melissa @ I Pick Pretty said...

Congrats on the 100th post!

Color me impressed that you would even think ahead about a menu for the week. I consider my job done so long as there is non-expired, marginally edible food somewhere in the house or within a 5 minute drive.

Hooray for "Office" tonight! I hereby request some more Andy Bernard wedding planning . ..

Sarah B. said...

Congratulations on making it to 100!
And I am with you in the cooking dept....I want to try so bad but really, who has the time. On Sunday I will make a list and my poor husband ends up doing half of it...he can whip up anything out of anything. He makes a better wife than me..augh,him!

Saucy said...

mmm Pei Wei. I would forgive you that.

Anonymous said...

Congrats on number 100! And I second Legallyblondemel, more wedding planning via Andy Bernard -- I'm totally copping his wedding :)

Jessica said...

yeah, i hear ya. it's harder that it seems on paper, right?

Anonymous said...

Congrats on the 100th post! woo hoo!

and i think you are doing really good...you Happy HomemAker you!

{Steve and Amanda} said...

Props to you for at least planning out every night. If I plan anything it is only once a week. And the day I plan it gets extended to at least 4 days later. I really should though. I'm tired of eating junk that is slopped together in 1 minute. I'm super excited for THE OFFICE tonight! Last week was a downer, how dare they postpone it.

GrannySmithGreen said...

So funny! Now add children to the mix--then you never eat!

Food, what's that? I haven't eaten in years--do the m & m's I had at lunch time count?

Mikki said...

I try to do one of those every now and then too. Sometimes they work out, sometimes not so much!

Ashley said...

Your intentions and realities sound SO much like mine! Last week (this is so shameful I didn't even blog about it!) I bought a roast with the full intention of making a roast beef. I didn't make it the night I had planned and then FORGOT about it until after it had already gone bad! $10 worth of beef, wasted!!! At least you're doing better than me. :)

The Mrs. said...

It is so hard to get a fab meal on the table isn't it!!??