So I just got back from my first business trip (of course, I remember that for you, any trip we went on was, of course, for business--being a photog and all)--I was in London. One of your favorite places. It was fantastic.
I wandered around St. James park and shoved my camera lens through the fence at Buckingham Palace to get better shots (what, was I not supposed to do that?). I mastered the self portrait, so I could prove that yes, I was there--these weren't just pictures I found on Google.
I also somehow managed to get from Heathrow to my hotel--which was really impressive in my humble opinion. It was a feat, let me tell you.
I explored my way through St. James park, trying to find my way to Big Ben--I could hear the blasted clock, but, I couldn't see it. And to avoid a Joey from Friends moment, I resisted opening my map. I decided that it was better to just go back to the hotel. But I did go through a roll of film my first afternoon in London (it was rainy anyway).
We went to dinner in Notting Hill and I was sorely disappointed to not find Hugh Grant anywhere. Are you kidding?!
I woke up early the next day, had myself a pain au chocolate (what, that's breakfast!), and hopped on the tube to Westminster where I emerged from the station to Big Ben on my right (which scared the bajeezus out of me). I walked along Westminster bridge and took as many pictures as I could without getting too nauseous on the shaky bridge while aiming my camera up up up.
Westminster Abbey was gorgeous, just as it always is. The crowds were huge and I didn't have the time to stand in line, but, I enjoyed being there again. I took pictures, don't worry.
I also didn't go into The Tower (I know! The shame!), tickets were like a bagillion dollars and it was already 3:30 by the time I got there (they close at 5). It was fantastic to be there. To wander around and take pictures. The bridge was under "refurbishment", so, those pictures kinda suck, but, whatever.
I watched Mama Mia! on the plane ride to London and cried my eyes out--there was a scene that reminded me of us. How I miss you.... How I would have loved for you to have joined me on this trip... But, I know you were there.
I didn't see a show while I was there (sorry!)--tickets were again, a bagillion dollars and I didn't really want to go by myself. I did get teary every time I passed a Les Mis poster (they were everywhere on the tube). Dad reminded me that going alone would not have stopped you--which is so true. You would have said "Ok! I want to go! I'm going!"--you would have also spent the bagillion dollars because all that was left was orchestra seats (it's evident that my cheapness did not come from you).
I'm hoping that maybe next summer Justin and I can spend a some time in Scotland with a brief "stop over" in London. Lara wants to go to Bath--I of course want to go to the Lake District. We'll see.
Anyways, I just was thinking about you and how much you loved England. I certainly am your daughter.
Love you Mom.
Miss you more.
xoxox
I wandered around St. James park and shoved my camera lens through the fence at Buckingham Palace to get better shots (what, was I not supposed to do that?). I mastered the self portrait, so I could prove that yes, I was there--these weren't just pictures I found on Google.
I also somehow managed to get from Heathrow to my hotel--which was really impressive in my humble opinion. It was a feat, let me tell you.
I explored my way through St. James park, trying to find my way to Big Ben--I could hear the blasted clock, but, I couldn't see it. And to avoid a Joey from Friends moment, I resisted opening my map. I decided that it was better to just go back to the hotel. But I did go through a roll of film my first afternoon in London (it was rainy anyway).
We went to dinner in Notting Hill and I was sorely disappointed to not find Hugh Grant anywhere. Are you kidding?!
I woke up early the next day, had myself a pain au chocolate (what, that's breakfast!), and hopped on the tube to Westminster where I emerged from the station to Big Ben on my right (which scared the bajeezus out of me). I walked along Westminster bridge and took as many pictures as I could without getting too nauseous on the shaky bridge while aiming my camera up up up.
Westminster Abbey was gorgeous, just as it always is. The crowds were huge and I didn't have the time to stand in line, but, I enjoyed being there again. I took pictures, don't worry.
I also didn't go into The Tower (I know! The shame!), tickets were like a bagillion dollars and it was already 3:30 by the time I got there (they close at 5). It was fantastic to be there. To wander around and take pictures. The bridge was under "refurbishment", so, those pictures kinda suck, but, whatever.
I watched Mama Mia! on the plane ride to London and cried my eyes out--there was a scene that reminded me of us. How I miss you.... How I would have loved for you to have joined me on this trip... But, I know you were there.
I didn't see a show while I was there (sorry!)--tickets were again, a bagillion dollars and I didn't really want to go by myself. I did get teary every time I passed a Les Mis poster (they were everywhere on the tube). Dad reminded me that going alone would not have stopped you--which is so true. You would have said "Ok! I want to go! I'm going!"--you would have also spent the bagillion dollars because all that was left was orchestra seats (it's evident that my cheapness did not come from you).
I'm hoping that maybe next summer Justin and I can spend a some time in Scotland with a brief "stop over" in London. Lara wants to go to Bath--I of course want to go to the Lake District. We'll see.
Anyways, I just was thinking about you and how much you loved England. I certainly am your daughter.
Love you Mom.
Miss you more.
xoxox


11 comments:
What a sweet sweet post. I'm so glad you had a good time in London (and I'm sure you Mom was with you every step of the way!) You are much braver than I am. I don't know that I could redo my fave vacation with my Dad yet (and its been 5 years)
What an awesome post!! It made me incredibly jealous!
So glad you are home safe.
I cried reading this special post.
What a wonderful "moment with mom". It is wonderful to look back and have such great memories of "our " special lady.
You make her proud!
aw, sweet Shabby, I've got tears in my eyes. I'm not your mom, but I'd love to give you a big ol' bloggy hug!! {{squeeze}}
Hope you had a wonerful time, bittersweet as it was.
I hope you'll post some pictures!!
Oh sweetie!! This post is so touching and heartfelt -- I'm tearing up here at work!! You're so strong!!
PS thanks for the advice :)
xoxo
Awww, I love this post! I'm glad you had such a great trip and I hope you'll post some pictures!
great post, lovely letter. London is one of my favorite cities in the world, I spent last year there, and miss it all the time!
SO glad you enjoyed London - adn OF COURSE next year you must come back to the UK and visit the Lake District! :)
Thanks for sharing your trip to London through this letter to your Mom. So special.
I'm looking forward to seeing those photos!
I'm jealous about your whole trip but I'm sort of glad you avoided Hugh, he's a bad boy!
Amazing blog.Love the hair color too! Introducing myself ..now. I read about your blog on Mikki's. I decided to comment on this post. I love to travel and have never been
to London and enjoyed readng about your lovely experiences(especially deciding to not open your map--SO what I do!) Thank you. I'll be back.
Have a great Princess day!
Post a Comment